Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Splint Ends- Shavous Segment
1  2  Next

jeweled

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 9:38 pm
I love Riva's stories and it's the reason I got hooked on Mishpacha 5 years ago and am still hooked Smile

With that said, I was very disturbed by this installment where the mother lets her son (5 years old? 6?) "help" the plumber based on the plumbers levush (tzizis and laid back face). The fact that he's wearing tzizis makes it okay for unsupervised time with a complete stranger? What

Comments?

sky

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 10:17 pm
I;ve never read the serial before but did read it this week and was disturbed by it. Based only on this weeks installment it sounded like a mother who doesn't have too much control over her kid anyway.

jeweled

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 10:21 pm
sky- the boy has adhd and the mother is trying alternative methods to control it, very against medication so far... but dead on she has no control over him. It's a pretty good story so far,each segment is good in itself not dragged out like some stories are/

jeweled

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 11:10 pm
Not sure how to edit title should say "split ends"

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 11:43 pm
This is just one in a string of poor choices she has made. I don't think the author is intending to validate her decision in any way.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 11:50 pm
I agree anyway, but I did think it was more of an overall impression rather than his clothes. Also, recall that one of the reasons she said no at first was that she didn't believe him that the plumber was OK with it, she thought he was just being a pest, so when he told her in person then she felt more comfortable with the idea.
Safety-wise she was much more permissive than I'd be (especially since she was working inside or something, not standing near the window/door watching), but it doesn't seem like she simply changed her safety decision based on the man's outward appearance. More like she changed her overall parenting decision based on her overall impression of the person and situation.

Did anyone else wonder whether Shloimy the head plumber is the same person as Shlomo who Libby's dating? (and it was his assistant who went to her door, so she didn't know?) Did we ever hear what Shlomo's profession is?

b.chadash

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 11:55 pm
I was thinking the same thing when I read it. First she seems cautious and doesn't want her son near a stranger, but then she seems to soften as soon as she sees the tzitzis.
In any case, I think it's clear that she's gonna end up marrying this shimmy, so this is her way of getting them together, by showing how good shimmy is with the kid...

b.chadash

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 11:58 pm
She is dating a Shimon. Shimmy the plumber is definitely not the same person. I think it's clear that Shimmy went to her and not Yossi the assistant.
My hunch is that shimmy is the brother of Libby's assistant (I forget her name) who works with her in the salon

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 12:00 am
Oh was it Shimmy/Shimon? I'm so bad with the names. But I do remember checking and they were two forms of the same name.
If that's what it is, which it probably would be, I think it's a cute twist to get Avi friendly with him like this Smile Does he realize who it is or is he just always like that? You'd think a kid the right age being suspended from school would be a giveaway...
I am really liking this story. It seems more realistic and more real to me than some previous ones. The style and characters are fun, too, even while they are dealing with real issues, they are still really cute. I love Libby's parents Smile

chilled

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 12:35 am
I find the storyline to be a bit over the top, the characters unrealistic, and the plot just dragging out. For instance, if Bin is so nutty, how did she marry him in the first place? Dunno, its not my cuppa.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 1:50 am
She married him because he was charming and personable. And they were young - a guy straight out of beis medrash with no job does not look like a loser. A guy years out of yeshiva with a wife and kid and several jobs lost is a little more obvious. Also, it is much easier for a person with ADHD (assuming that's what it's about) to hold it just about together and fly under the radar when they are young and have few responsibilities and stresses, not that uncommon to fall apart first after marriage and kids.

When you're 19 and dating a guy who's a bit reckless and irreverent can look like a lot of fun and an interesting conversationalist. When you're 25 with a kid having trouble in school and limited income and all that, you realize very clearly that fun is not that important and that a better conversation would be with someone who takes interest in you, not just says interesting things.

Sounds like he is a fun dater. Husband and father notsomuch.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 7:29 am
Since she met shimmy and the author didnt indicate that they knew each other, they wouldn't be the same person. Anyway they mentioned shimons profession at some point, and it was a standard white collar job.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 10:49 am
Oh well. What a tease.

chilled

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 12:09 am
The story really isn't holding itself together... The latest one was a real disappointment...

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 8:31 am
chilled wrote:
The story really isn't holding itself together... The latest one was a real disappointment...

Do you think they're going to get back together?

sunny90

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 9:16 am
Nah, she's going to marry that Shimmy guy. This is just a plot twist because that's what Jewish novels do.

jeweled

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 9:25 am
I thought from the beginning that they were going to get back together. On one date she was actually missing her ex. And now that he's in therapy and on Ritalin, you never know...

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 10:55 am
sunny90 wrote:
Nah, she's going to marry that Shimmy guy. This is just a plot twist because that's what Jewish novels do.

Poor Riva. She's in a bind now. Libby can't marry Shimmy or Bin. Sorry, Riva Tongue Out

write on

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 3:41 pm
Oh, bummer, Pink Fridge. You got me! Can you write the rest? :-)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 3:44 pm
write on wrote:
Oh, bummer, Pink Fridge. You got me! Can you write the rest? :-)

Cool. I knew you were here somewhere but forgot where exactly.
Your people can contact my people ;-)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room