Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cleveland Schools

amother

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 1:24 pm
Hi, we are thinking about moving to Cleveland. Just wondering - what is it like to have a kid with special ed needs in the schools there? Will they accomodate? Are there resource room/P'Tach programs? Speech, etc? Are the kids cliquey or does this depend on the class?

Anon cuz some people know me and don't want this to be official yet. TIA!

ElTam

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 3:13 pm
Depends on the school and depends on the teacher and depends on the grade. I have kids in school in Cleveland and would be happy to discuss specifics if you want to PM me.

Cleveland has a great program called Segula that helps kids in day school who need an aide or a shadow. Their web site has more info on their exact programs. http://www.segula.org/

Can't speak to all schools, but Hebrew Academy of Cleveland offers
1. A resource room at no extra charge for kids who need help with limudei kodesh. It's excellent.
2. Title I for kids who need help with English reading skills
3. A homework assistance room for limudei chol two days a week. (Also no extra charge)

There is also a program called Tree of Knowledge (http://www.treeofknowledge.us/) that works with Mosdos Ohr HaTorah (most yeshivish school in town) and Hebrew Academy (mix of yeshivish and balabatish and just plain frum) students who need to be an an alternative setting for limudei chol. So kids go half day to Mosdos or HAC and half day to Tree of Knowledge. (It is walking distance from both schools.)

There is also a modern Orthodox school--Mizrachi--that perhaps other posters from Cleveland can give you more info on.

On the cliquey thing, it really, really, really depends on the class. I can speak the most about HAC, and I have found the teachers/administration to be very on top of this in terms of exclusion, bullying, etc. But I do know that, kids being kids, there are some issues. But I don't know anywhere you would move that there wouldn't be. My kids transferred in to HAC from another school and have transitioned great and okay, depending on the kid. A lot of it has to do with how many kids in your child's grade live in the neighborhood. (There is more than one frum neighborhood.) It seems to me that there is more of an issue if your child lives in a neighborhood where not so many kids in their class live, so they aren't playing outside of school and on Shabbos, etc.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:18 pm
I searched Cleveland here on imamother for another reason and just now noticed this thread. Might now be moot though.

My kids aren't high functioning enough (yet?!) to use Segula in the day school and are in public school so I can speak to how the special ed is in the public schools and my husband is a Segula aide so I can also help with Segula questions if that's helpful.

If you did move here-- welcome! Let me know if I can help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating