Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I NEED HELP FROM A FASHIONISTA!!!!

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 9:18 pm
Okay.

I bought a dress by Adrianne Papell from Nordstroms ENCORE (plus size dept.)

I can't figure out how to get the image from their web site onto this post...

AT any rate... It is a black straight sheath dress with black pleats from neck to hem.

WHAT DO I WEAR WITH IT???

I CAN'T WEAR A SLEEVELESS DRESS BUT IT FIT SO PERFECTLY.

Please give me some suggestions...
Thanks!!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 9:31 pm
Take it to a seamstress or dressmaker, and ask for thin fabric that goes with it, to add on sleeves with a little puff at the shoulder, or flowiness. At the wrist, it can just gather in. There's no need for a set-in cuff. If elastic is used at the wrist, it must be soft, and black. The cuff should hang off your wrist slightly, not grip it, or you won't be comfortable.

You could also take the dress to a place where they sell scarves.

Find a black opaque scarf that goes with the dress. Buy at least two. Those will be the sleeves. You might want a third at the neck, or on your head.

The black color should have the same look and the same intensity as the dress. It doesn't have to match exactly, it just has to Go.

The fabric can be lighter than the dress fabric, or have designs on it, if you want. Not a match, a Go. Ask the saleslady if you need help. Choose in good light.

Buy more than enough scarves, in case the seamstress needs to piece two scarves together for each sleeve.

The seamstress will put the dress inside out on a form. Then she will cut the sleeve shape. Then she will gather the top by hand. Then she will tack the sleeves on by hand. Then she will turn it back right side out and try it on you. That's important: you must be able to bend your arms. Then she will turn it inside out again and sew it down tightly and firmly. She may use fabric glue to seal the cut edge, or hem that by hand.

Pay her well. Tell her to keep the sleeve pattern in your file for next time's use.

Easy peasy. You will have fun.

INSPIREME

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 9:35 pm
Why don't you wear a black shell underneath?

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 9:36 pm
Does it have to be full length and flowy?

(is that a word)

Can it be a 3/4 sleeve?
How would it be finished?

The dress is like a matt black jersey... I think.

Check out the web site...

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 9:43 pm
is it this one?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ad....._19_C

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 9:47 pm
ALMOST!!!!!
Except mine has the same size pleats from the hem to the neck line.

Look, it was on sale from $180 to $39 I felt bad leaving it there and it fit really well.

Is there a blazer I can wear with it??!

Maybe with a POP of color--NOT black???

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 10:01 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
Does it have to be full length and flowy?

(is that a word)

Can it be a 3/4 sleeve?
How would it be finished?

The dress is like a matt black jersey... I think.

Check out the web site...

Sure, 3/4 sleeve. Work with the seamstress. Finished with a simple rolled hem, no big thing. A soft elastic makes it easier.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 10:02 pm
ok, if it's similar to the one I saw, I'd say it's ok to wear a solid color blazer with it. (I'm not a fashionista, btw, in case it matters.) and yes, you could go with a pop of color. a cardigan could work very nicely too. honestly, you could wear a shell with it if you want. the only thing I'd be concerned about with a shell is the sheer part of the shoulders. don't know if you have that. but if you wear a contrasting color shell under a partially sheer dress, you may not like the look. with the dress I found, I think it would look like your bra showing through. not classy. if your dress lacks that sheer part or you have a solid panel inserted in that spot, a contrasting color shell could look lovely. I'm thinking turquoise, but that's probably just cause I love turquoise.

enjoy the dress.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 10:19 pm
I agree with MD... Go with a pop of fun color via a dressy cardigan.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 10:24 pm
Dressy cardigan, yes. Color, sure.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 1:25 am
Well, I just got back from Macys and I found a fitted black (boring) blazer. It looks very sharp together it's just a bit boring. Then again the wedding is in Brooklyn do I really need to stand out in a hot pink blazer??!

FYI for all you bargain shoppers the blazer rang up $10.50

Yep.

That IS the best part of the story.

Thanks for your help ladies...

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 9:40 am
OOps!

I made a mistake--actually the black, fully lined, fitted blazer was $8.30 apparently the salesgirl gave me the online 20% discount on top of the 65%... Practically free.
Or the price of a really good coffee at an airport.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 1:27 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
OOps!

I made a mistake--actually the black, fully lined, fitted blazer was $8.30 apparently the salesgirl gave me the online 20% discount on top of the 65%... Practically free.
Or the price of a really good coffee at an airport.

say, can you go shopping for me? you seem to have ridiculously good luck...

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 6:04 pm
If you feel boring in too much black, put a bright scarf of excellent quality at the neck.

sgr

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 6:10 pm
I would wear a bright colored dressy cardigan for example in coral with shoes in the same color and contrasting jewelry!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics