Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
No insurance. Can I ask my dentist for a discount?

blueberries

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 10:56 am
I don't have insurance. Is it wrong of me to ask my dentist for a discount when I need work to be done and it will be very expensive? In what circumstances is it ok for me to ask for a discount? I need advice please.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 10:59 am
Dentists always give discounts!!! Even the top top snooty doctors will give discounts when a lot of work is being done. Many even give discounted cleanings. Many people do not have dental insurance, and even many of those who do do not have much coverage.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 11:01 am
I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst thing that happens is s/he says "no."

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 11:12 am
You can ask, but without expectation and without being pushy. Anything he gives you off is nice, and if you can't afford his offer, then you can try somewhere else.

mirror

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 11:31 am
blueberries wrote:
I don't have insurance. Is it wrong of me to ask my dentist for a discount when I need work to be done and it will be very expensive? In what circumstances is it ok for me to ask for a discount? I need advice please.

I don't know where you live, but it may pay to travel to a dentist who charges less in the first place.

I compared prices and found that dentists in five boroughs of NYC (I don't know where you live) charge far more than dentists in Monsey, even with the purported discount they give customers who don't have insurance.

I have asked for discounts in the dentists in the five boroughs, but I am telling you that dentists in Monsey charge less. I saved $500 just travelling to Dr. Borkhardor in Monsey. It was worth my shlep.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 11:35 am
Sure you can. You can also ask about payment options.
Does your community have any chesed options, or dentists known for working with patients?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 11:36 am
Do you have a dental school nearby? They usually have inexpensive clinics for the students to gain experience under the watchful eyes of their teachers.

mirror

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 11:50 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Do you have a dental school nearby? They usually have inexpensive clinics for the students to gain experience under the watchful eyes of their teachers.

It depends on where you live.

I compared prices and found that the dental schools in the five boroughs still charge more than the Monsey area dentists. But if you have to stay local, then they can compare with local dentists in prices. But some frum local dentists can match the prices of local dental schools.

You should call around, because I would prefer an experienced dentist working on me than a local dental student.

mirror

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 12:30 pm
By the way, it goes without saying that sometimes you should get a second opinion.

I once made the mistake of seeing Dr. Peter Kampf in Syosset. He said I had four cavities. I forwarded the X-rays to a different dentist, and I only had two cavities.

Here is an article. Read the comments for more dentist horror stories.

http://money.msn.com/health-an.....83e4e

momX4

Post Wed, Jun 11 2014, 1:21 pm
Always ask for a discount, the worst thing will happen is they will say no. When I didnt have insurance a dentist gave me the price that I would pay if I was on a discounted plan, which is what I have now. I have gotten a better price for braces with more affordable payment by just asking for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains