Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
'Gourmet' Healthy Shabbos Meals
Previous  1  2

dak11

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 9:00 am
I love this one (honey mustard chicken thighs) it's super fast and tastes great. http://www.today.com/id/361984.....ways/

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 12:08 pm
tichellady wrote:
I try to cook in this way. I don't make kugels- here are some examples of my shabbat dishes: green beans with shitake mushrooms, roasted sweet potatoes with lime and chili powder, quinoa salad with edamame and red pepper, corn on the cob, roasted asparagus, vegetable kebabs or chicken and vegetable kebabs, grilled chicken breasts with mango salsa or chutney or pesto, green beans with cherry tomatoes and basil, basil orzo salad, mustardy potato salad (no mayo). My favorite desserts are: apple crisp, blueberry crisp, walnut cocoa meringues, pavlovas with lemon curd, chocolate chips cookies and maple cinnamon cookies. I don't use margarine at all (occasionally smart balance). These foods are not super cheap to make, but I have never cooked more heimishe food so I don't know the prices compare.

I LOVE some of these ideas! Would you please post how you make the sweet potatoes, the greenbeans (both kinds), the quinoa salad, and the pavlovas with lemon curd?

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 1:29 pm
imasinger wrote:
I LOVE some of these ideas! Would you please post how you make the sweet potatoes, the greenbeans (both kinds), the quinoa salad, and the pavlovas with lemon curd?

I don't use recipes but here's the basic idea: roast cubed sweet potatoes at 425-450, covered for first 10-15 minutes, then uncovered. I roast them with canola oil, salt, and chili powder on a parchment paper lined pan, making sure they are all in one layer. when they are starting to get soft I take them out and coat them in lime zest, lime juice, and a spoon of honey or brown sugar. Cook until they are soft and slightly caramelized (takes about an hour, stir every 15 minutes or so).

green beans (I try to use haricot verts) - steam or boil until crisp-tender. for the tomato version- dry the string beans well. An hour or so before serving mix with sliced cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and red wine vinaigrette (some olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, honey, pepper, oregano and salt). for the mushroom version- saute shitake mushrooms in a bit of oil, add some soy sauce and minced ginger. mix with green beans and serve with toasted sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil before serving.

My quinoa salad is based on this recipe- http://www.epicurious.com/reci.....32677
I make 4-8 times the recipe, but I only double or triple the salad dressing (I don't use raw onions but scallions instead).

I use this pavlova recipe: http://www.joyofbaking.com/Pavlova.html
However, I make six mini ones instead of one big one because the big one is hard to store and cut when serving. I use regular sugar not superfine.

I give each person one pavlova and let them top it as they choose. My toppings vary but here are a few (they don't all taste good together), lemon curd, chocolate mousse, berries, banana slices, coconut whipped cream, sorbet or raspberry sauce. I think I use this recipe for lemon curd, http://kitchenconfidante.com/s.....ecipe but I use smart balance instead of butter and I think I used half the amount of margarine.

Hope this helps!Let me know if my instructions need clarification.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 3:04 pm
abound wrote:
By the way, you can make brown rice that tastes almost like white rice. Most people do not notice.
1 Cup of rice cooked in 8 cups of water for 30 minutes (covered). Then drain and let it sit in the pot for another 30 minutes covered. It is fluffy and soft.

is this a typo? I use 2-2 1/2 cups water for one cup of brown rice.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 3:07 pm
amother wrote:
is this a typo? I use 2-2 1/2 cups water for one cup of brown rice.

She says to drain it after 30 min Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking