Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Anyone have a combo washer/dryer

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 2:49 pm
Can you tell me what type you have, not looking to spend a lot of money, need to buy it quickly though.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 4:10 pm
to clarify, combo washer dryer means it's one machine, about the size of a dishwasher, that washes and dries the clothing.

busybee98

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 4:22 pm
I have an LG front loader washer/dryer combo. The washing machine is great but the dryer is not the best. It can deginitwly dry a small amt of items fine but I find a largw amount of stuff even just one load does not dry. Also be aware that it doea take longer than a regular dryer like up to an hr for a small mount. Luckily I live in an apt and can use the basement dryer if I rlly need to. Otherwise I juat hang stuff hope this helps!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 5:16 pm
Thanks, any additional info is also helpful, such as where it was purchased and what model? I was trying for something cheap if possible (under 1K), doesn't look like it's likely though.

eema2five

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 6:17 pm
dont know if you are looking for one machine which is a washer and dryer, or one unit that has a washer on the bottom and a dryer on top. Either way, if you can avoid it, do so!!
If one function malfunctions, you are stuck and need to replace the entire unit.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 7:21 pm
Have had in rented places. Generally I found it worked well as a washing machine but not a great dryer, very energy inefficient, so I only used for emergencies and air dried 95% of stuff. I don't know the makes, but used a couple of different ones over the years. If you sre a heavy dryer user, would definitely recommend buying two separate machines.

STovah

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 8:24 pm
I had a Malber washer/dryer unit when I lived in an apt. It may have been awkward with setting up the hoses in the sink, etc., and loads were small and it took three hours to complete the cycle, but it was indispensable and I'd recommend it to anyone.

lovemywig

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 8:29 pm
I have it and love it. But I have it for a business it's small loads fits 10-12 towels n it takes about 3 hours so I d 2-3 loads a day. For me it works I don't think would work for me at home cuz I like to rotate.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 11:47 pm
lovemywig wrote:
I have it and love it. But I have it for a business it's small loads fits 10-12 towels n it takes about 3 hours so I d 2-3 loads a day. For me it works I don't think would work for me at home cuz I like to rotate.
What size towels? 12 sounds like a really large load.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 13 2014, 10:23 am
OP here. Thanks for the responses. It's for a single unit that would serve as both a washer and dryer, it is for an apt that can only fit a W/D in the space that currently holds a non-kosher dishwasher. Thanks.

lovemywig

Post Fri, Jun 13 2014, 11:50 am
ra_mom wrote:
What size towels? 12 sounds like a really large load.

Think it's about the size of a hand towel

lfab

Post Fri, Jun 13 2014, 12:04 pm
I had the malber as well. Don't remember the exact cost but it was under $1000 (including delivery to NY) when I bought it over 6 years ago. I got it at Town Appliance in Lakewood. A few things to know:

-It is very small-only fits 2-3 regular bath towels and that's a full load! We have 48" beds and use duvet covers and they were too large to fit in the machine. It was great for when we were first married. Once I had my first baby I was doing a load almost every night just to keep up.

-A load takes about 3 hours to complete and the dryer portion takes a long time (especially for something like towels. The good thing is that since it switches automatically to the dryer you can let it run overnight without having to switch the load.

-You can have it hooked up directly to a water pipe otherwise you need to attach it to a sink and have another hose lead into the sink to drain the water. This means you can't use your sink for the duration of the load.

-Lastly, I don't know if this is typical, but ours broke 3 times in the span of the 2 1/2 years we had it. After the 3rd time it didn't pay for us to fix it anymore. Also, since it is a specialized machine we needed to call them to come down and fix it and it was more expensive than a regular appliance repairman. The problem is that since it's one unit if any water gets in the unit that produces heat for the dryer it shorts out (at least that was our problem).

I would recommend it for a single person or newlyweds who do not produce too much laundry. Once you have kids it's not worth it unless you only plan to use it as a back up for emergency loads (ie. middle of the night sick child...)

Hope this helps
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry