Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Need help organizing my clothes - to keep or to toss?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 12:54 pm
I don't have many clothes, but I also don't have alot of closet space. So my bedroom closet is very cluttered. I started putting my "better" clothes in the guest closet because we don't have guests staying long term so they just need a little space for a shabbos outfit or two. Here's the dilemma: My DM is coming for the summer; four months total, iy"H. She is elderly till 120 iy"H, and my DS who lives out of town and I rotate taking care of my mom and her needs. So I need to put everything back into my bedroom to clear closet space for DM...almost impossible! Help. I need suggestions...There is Shabbos, weekday, summer and winter... Not alot but some for every season.

oodlesofnoodles

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 12:57 pm
Buy some bins and pack away all the clothes you're not wearing for the next four months

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 1:29 pm
Except for special-occasion things that you might need very seldom but wouldn't want to buy new every time, get rid of anything that:
--is irreparably stained or torn
--doesn't fit
--you never really liked
--doesn't match anything else you own
--you haven't worn in 2 years.

If something needs minor repair that you can do, do it now; otherwise, get rid of it. Except for the first category, no need to throw it out--give it away.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 1:41 pm
WoooHoooo!!!!
I am reorganizing my closet as you posted.

So THIS is my humble suggestion.

IF you haven't work an item of clothing in a year... GET RID OF IT.

There is not need for 7 black sweaters.

Get rid of the ones that are faded and pilled.

You are never ever going to dye that black sweater nor are you going to shave the pills off.

Get rid of it.

My goal is to get rid of one large garbage bag of clothing.

GOOD Luck to you and please let me know how it goes.

In the future--when you buy something NEW try to get rid of one time of clothing.

This way your closet does not become a breeding ground for clothes you do not wear AND you will find getting dressed in the morning takes two seconds once you get rid of the garbage you haven't worn in a long time.

ALSO...

don't know if anyone can relate to this... I have some shirts/skirts that are stained that I wear when I cook,
Get rid of those (like I did) and invest in a a nice apron. You (and I) will look nicer and will not have extra garbage taking up valuable closet space.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 1:42 pm
I was so passionate in the above post that I neglected to check for typos... sorry...

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 2:15 pm
I completely disagree with the rules of getting rid of things ... But if course it depends on your personality type.
I mostly buy things I love. I may not wear something for five years and then decide to start wearing it again. In fact, my favorite top right now is something I wore maybe twice 7 years ago.
But I agree with getting rid of torn, stained clothes.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 2:49 pm
Neatly fold the maternity clothes, put them in a garbage bag in a box. Label it.
Neatly fold the winter clothes, put them in a garbage bag in a box. Label it.
Choose your favorite two or three Shabbos outfits, put the rest in a bag in a labeled box.
Look through your remaining clothes as if you were shopping at the mall. Would you buy something that looked like that? If not put it in a bag (not in a box Very Happy )
Fold your non-wrinkle tops and put them in your drawer.
The chasuna clothing can be unpacked and ironed within the week before it's needed.
You need no more weekday clothes than to get you through the 9 days.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 5:32 pm
Just donated TWO big garbage bags of clothing.

I disagree with keeping maternity clothing unless you plan on getting pregnant (or your BFF needs maternity clothes) within the year.
Styles change and that super cute outfit that you loved, LOVED loved will NOT be super cute in three years from now.

Unless it's a basic denim or black pencil skirt get rid of it and buy NEW stuff for the next pregnancy.

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 10:14 pm
ValleyMom wrote:

I disagree with keeping maternity clothing unless you plan on getting pregnant (or your BFF needs maternity clothes) within the year.

But if you plan NOT to get pg you have to keep at least one maternity dress in the closet for contraceptive purposes. However, you can lend--not give-- it to someone, with the understanding that she cannot give it away and has to give it back to you should you need it. That will serve the same purpose.

VM, not everyone is as fashion-conscious as you. Many women are just fine with wearing maternity clothes that are 5 or 10 or 15 years old. If one buys classic styles without trendy details, there's no reason to replace them. They are easily updated with accessories.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 12:31 am
Iymnok wrote:
Neatly fold the maternity clothes, put them in a garbage bag in a box. Label it.
Neatly fold the winter clothes, put them in a garbage bag in a box. Label it.
Choose your favorite two or three Shabbos outfits, put the rest in a bag in a labeled box.
Look through your remaining clothes as if you were shopping at the mall. Would you buy something that looked like that? If not put it in a bag (not in a box Very Happy )
Fold your non-wrinkle tops and put them in your drawer.
The chasuna clothing can be unpacked and ironed within the week before it's needed.
You need no more weekday clothes than to get you through the 9 days.
I love the bolded. I have got to take your advice Smile

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 12:34 am
I wish I was as fashionable as you intimated.

I'm just learning to be more organized.

I'm posting simply because I wanted you to explain why holding on to one lone maternity dress for contraceptive purposes. What am I missing? I don't understand?

ROFL

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 12:41 am
If you get rid of all your maternity wear, you will sure get pregnant even if you don't want to !
Old wives tale but it did happen to several friends, who had a whoopsi baby after they finally got rid of that old crib, and all those old maternity in the back of the closet.
I still have my crib even though my baby is in her twenties !

amother

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 2:07 am
The "maternity dress contraceptive" also works for buying washable cloth menstrual pads. As soon as you buy them, you will find out that you are pregnant... worked for me!

But anyhow I store stuff - can't afford to buy another wardrobe every time I get pregnant or change sizes!

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 5:41 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I wish I was as fashionable as you intimated.

I'm just learning to be more organized.

I'm posting simply because I wanted you to explain why holding on to one lone maternity dress for contraceptive purposes. What am I missing? I don't understand?

It's just one of those life experience things like Murphy's Law. You know how a lost glove will always turn up two days after you finally throw out its mate? By the same token, if you get rid of all your maternity clothes, you will for sure conceive again. So long as you have that one maternity dress, you're sure not to need it.

faigy123

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 4:50 pm
just got rid of 7 bags of mine and kids cloth B"H.....
it feels like my house is finally organized

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 6:28 pm
Quote:
The "maternity dress contraceptive" also works for buying washable cloth menstrual pads.
Either that or menopause finally arrives. I kept pushing off buying them, in case. Then, when I finally did - should have bought 'em a few years ago.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 6:29 pm
Oh, but I do have a few maternity outfits in the 'other' closet. And the baby just turned 19!
But I really loved them, and I can always take them in one day (when I lose enough weight so the shoulders fit, right?)

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
Oh, but I do have a few maternity outfits in the 'other' closet. And the baby just turned 19!
But I really loved them, and I can always take them in one day (when I lose enough weight so the shoulders fit, right?)

Wrong. Don't live in the past or the future--live in the here and now.If you haven't done it in 19 years, you never will. Do yourself a favor and give them to a maternity gmach. A needy mom-to-be gets some nice clothes, and you get a mitzvah and some closet space.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 8:45 pm
This is a great thread for me because I am unable to give/throw away old clothes I haven't worn in 10+ years! I fit into them just fine, but I don't wear them because they're out of style and I hang onto the hope they'll come back in style. This did actually happen a few times. Yet in the meantime it's crazy, seeing closets full of clothes but I wear the same few outfits. I wonder if it's from growing up poor? :-( I find I absolutely cannot get rid of something that is essentially still wearable.

rednavy

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 9:11 pm
ROFL wrote:
If you get rid of all your maternity wear, you will sure get pregnant even if you don't want to !
Old wives tale but it did happen to several friends, who had a whoopsi baby after they finally got rid of that old crib, and all those old maternity in the back of the closet.
I still have my crib even though my baby is in her twenties !

Wow. This should be in the IF section.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics