Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Ironing men's dress shirts?

shana rishona

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 4:09 pm
Do you iron your DH's dress shirts?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 6:03 pm
You mean me vs him? Me vs a cleaning lady? Me vs the dry cleaners? Or does he wear them wrinkled?

Either he does them or I do, depending who's available.

chani4

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 6:44 pm
non iron shirts are a great creation

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 8:29 pm
I iron my own shirts. My dh knows how to iron just as well as I do, but he apparently couldn't care less if he's seen wearing a wrinkled shirt. It took time for me to collect the internal strength to not care, either. I will iron his shirt before a simcha if we're the baalei hasimcha, because that much internal strength I haven't got to see dh in a wrinkled shirt in simcha pictures. It's not usually a problem because for a major simcha he's usually getting a new shirt, anyway. Usually I'm buying him that new shirt just so he'll have a neatly pressed shirt for the occasion.

It's embarrassing to me when he comes home from shul on Shabbes, takes off his jacket and his shirt looks like it was hung up to dry right from the washer and then worn as is--which it was. But I'm not his maid, and intellectually I know that his grooming or lack thereof is no reflection on me. We're each normally capable adults, each have a job, and are each responsible for our own grooming and clothing. There's plenty of general household chores I do that dh never, ever, does--like all the grocery shopping, cooking, general household laundry--so I'm not about to start taking care of his personal grooming, too. Not unless I'm going to be completely humiliated, which means a mixed-seating affair in which he's sitting beside me. Separate seating? Then who cares? Let the other men think he's a slob. Fine by me.

FTR he's not a slob. He doesn't walk around with yesterday's lunch on his shirt. He changes his clothes daily, he just doesn't think there's any point to ironing shirts because they'll get wrinkled anyway. He doesn't understand that the wrinkles in a shirt that's been worn for eight or ten hours look nothing like those in a shirt that was never ironed at all.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 8:35 pm
Amother, if it bothers you why don't you just get wrinkle free shirts? They don't look as nice typically, but they certainly look better than wrinkles.

chatouli

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 9:03 pm
I iron my DH's shirts. He simply doesn't have time and it's something I would rather do than pay someone else to do. I do a better job - they iron well but somehow never get stains out - and it's a huge savings each month. My friends make fun of me but it's fine Smile that's $9/week and $36 a month I can spend on disposables Wink

In full disclosure sometimes my mom irons DH's shirts. She finds ironing relaxing and satisfying. I find it a bearable chore, but still definitely a chore. So she will sometimes take an hour and iron his shirts for the week for me. We are both very grateful to her when she does this!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 9:42 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Amother, if it bothers you why don't you just get wrinkle free shirts? They don't look as nice typically, but they certainly look better than wrinkles.

Wrinkle free shirts are wrinkle free only when dried in a dryer. When air dried, which we do because we have no dryer, they wrinkle badly, especially if they're washed in hot water. And if you leave them lying around damp in the machine or laundry basket for a while before hanging them up, it's even worse.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 10:12 pm
I send them to the cleaners. My DH works in a professional environment and needs to look put together. The wrinkle free shirts just don't have that freshly pressed look.
If I have to pay my cleaning lady to iron them (I don't have time to do them myself), plus the water, electricity, detergent, spray starch etc., then it's cheaper to have them done at the cleaners. And it's DH's job to take them and pick them up!

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

copypaste

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 11:04 pm
My DH has non iron shirts for weekdays only I still iron them for him. Takes me maybe fifteen minutes a week to do all six and I have pleasure seeing my DH in nice ironed shirt every day. Shabbos he wears 100% cotton and that I dry clean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry