Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Free/cheap summer activities in Brooklyn/NYC
1  2  Next

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:01 pm
Due to our current financial situation, I am thinking of keeping some of my children home from day camp this summer- 1st grader and 2 preschoolers. What are some activities I can do with them, at home, or out of the house? I am thinking of taking them to library events, and taking advantage of our Cool Culture Card by visiting museums and zoos. Are there other places offering free or low cost activities in Brooklyn or Manhattan? What are some other things I can do with them? Anyone have any suggestion where I can take my 7 year old daughter swimming? My preschoolers can swim in a wading pool in my backyard, but my daughter outgrew that...

Pineapple

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:06 pm
Staten island ferry

There are lots of places to go with he cool culture card that are perfect for there ages

bnm

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:07 pm
Brooklyn Bridge Park

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:11 pm
Check out mommy poppins

sky

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:12 pm
Governers Island.
Ikea ferry (ages 3 -12 are free, adults $5, and if you spend $10 at ikea the trip is free). I've never done it but its in my idea book.
Any fruit or vegetable picking in your area? We love picking kirbies one day and then pickling them the next.
Water painting (fill a bucket with water and some paintbrushes and paint the house the or the sidewalk).

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:15 pm
google free kids concerts nyc.

bryant park has a game spot right next to the carousel. there are board games and tables for anyone to use. there is also a reading section with tables. there are often activities there, and you can go to the 42nd street library next to the park, which sometimes has free exhibits. check times for toddler time there before going.

marine park has boat/multi person bike rentals. not sure of the prices. you can walk the trail at the salt marshes (across from marine park) for free. bring a bird book and a picnic. marine park also has a great playground with a really nice sprinkler. the community center there may have free events.

toys r us times square is one of my favorite trips. go with the intention of buying NOTHING. you and your kids can play with whatever toys they have on demo that day. it'll fill up a couple of hours, and it's FUN. bring a camera and let the kids take pictures with all the oversized stuffed animals, etc.

farmers markets are great trips. get your produce shopping in while you're there, and see some unusual veggies.

there's a lego store near rockefeller center. you can play with some legos there. I recall a "customize your own lego person" stand. you don't have to pay to play there if you don't actually keep the lego people... there's a farmers market nearby one day a week, I think.

mirror

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:17 pm
sky wrote:
Governers Island.
Ikea ferry (ages 3 -12 are free, adults $5, and if you spend $10 at ikea the trip is free). I've never done it but its in my idea book.
Any fruit or vegetable picking in your area? We love picking kirbies one day and then pickling them the next.
Water painting (fill a bucket with water and some paintbrushes and paint the house the or the sidewalk).

Where do you get Ikea ferry?

The Coney Island Aquarium is free on Fridays after 3:00 p.m., but they close at 4:30 p.m. You would have to be ready for Shabbos early.

The Bronx Zoo is free on Wednesdays.

mirror

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:22 pm
New York Hall of Science is free limited hours only until end of June.

Quote:
Enjoy free general admission, September through June, on Fridays, 2 – 5 pm; Sundays, 10 – 11 am.
Free hours are suspended in July, August and September 22.

http://nysci.org/visit-main/tickets/

happy12

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:22 pm
Battery park city - great playground, tons of equipment to use, nice restrooms and a great sprinkler park in a separate area also near the ferry. When I did mommy camp we went about once a week.

If you have a car -twice a week we visited different playgrounds in the morning and went to a different library in the afternoon.

momX4

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:43 pm
check out this website and see if you can find a local place

http://www.kidsbowlfree.com/

momfrombrooklyn

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 9:50 pm
the nyc parks department has many free activities for kids
the library often has free arts and crafts activities

luvtocook

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 10:03 pm
Michaels craft shop has free or possibly cost $2-3 craft workshops couple times a week for kids but I think u night have to register

Sprinkler park in union city nj it has bunch if sprinklers and 2 diff pools

Brooklyn bridge park

U have the cool cultures card the museum of the arts is amazing for kids

sky

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 10:52 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
Where do you get Ikea ferry?

The Coney Island Aquarium is free on Fridays after 3:00 p.m., but they close at 4:30 p.m. You would have to be ready for Shabbos early.

The Bronx Zoo is free on Wednesdays.

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/ikea

To second what someone else said Michaels has great crafts and wood crafts for $1. You have to look for them.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 11:04 pm
Thanks for the suggestions, and please keep them coming! Unfortunately, there is no Michael's near me, although that is a great idea. The NY Hall of Science is on the Cool Culture card, so it's always free for me.
Would anyone know how much a summer membership for my daughter at the Boro Park Y would cost?

momx6

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 11:09 pm
Op-How do you get a cool culture card, if you don't mind me asking? I'm also doing mommy camp this summer.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 11:12 pm
momx6 wrote:
Op-How do you get a cool culture card, if you don't mind me asking? I'm also doing mommy camp this summer.
headstart, day care, or UPK programs. My son is on Headstart in his preschool.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 11:31 pm
http://www.timeout.com/new-york-kids

SYA

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 11:36 pm
Pier 25 at the hudson river park - they have swings, a water area, sand box, climbing walls & boulders

syrima

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 11:18 am
Governor's island is open EVERY DAY of the week this summer!
Check out their activities for kids, we did such nice arts and crafts there...
We plan on going there NOT on Sunday so it will be less crowded and more fun.
See you there!

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 11:46 am
Lowes and home depot have kids crafts. The one near me has sunday programs, not sure if they do everywhere.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries