Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Living room paint colors
1  2  Next

avimom

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 6:55 pm
What color paint is your living room? Looking for a pretty, bright beige from Benjamin moore but there are so many to choose from!

2cents

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 7:15 pm
opal from BM. very standard, but pretty.

copypaste

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 7:40 pm
HC-173 is a beautiful color

avimom

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 8:09 pm
thanks!

avimom

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 8:10 pm
funny, someone recommended hc173 to me but it seems so gray and blah to me. Does it really look bright in a room??

amother

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 8:17 pm
From much experience - ALWAYS, ALWAYS buy a sample & test to see how you like it on the wall.

I usually get the 2 or 3 colors I am most inclined to use. (Around $5 in Sherwin Williams or Lowes)

Paint a nice sized square. Colors look different in different lights, too, so check in morning, afternoon & evening.

Sometimes I've even had them custom mix two colors, e.g. if the lightest color on the sample card was too light & the second was too dark, I had them mix it to a color in between.

(Anon bec I am famous for this in my circles!)

ElTam

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 8:25 pm
Yep. Paint a square a live with it for a few days so you see it in different lights. Also, if there is a focal item in the room, a picture, whatever, try picking up a color from that. Sherwin Williams can match paint from a decor item.

You can also do an accent wall. In our living room, four walls are a creamy beige and the one long wall is a deep, rich brick red,

avimom

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 8:28 pm
can't really paint a square since the walls are unfinished/ not primed (new construction) and you won't see the color correctly but I suppose I can paint it on an oaktag...

thanks

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 8:49 pm
I did Shaker Beige, HC-45.
I also bought lots of samples. You need to see it on the wall. Put a thick coat if it's not primed, and you'll get a better idea.

avimom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 5:46 pm
Ok, so now it's between Manchester tan at 75% (the full was too dark but told this is in style...) or Navajo white (which is kind of yellow though...). I've painted samples and still can't decide!!! Advice or opinions?? Thanks!

granolamom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:19 pm
avimom wrote:
can't really paint a square since the walls are unfinished/ not primed (new construction) and you won't see the color correctly but I suppose I can paint it on an oaktag...

my local paint store sells these square boards (about 18") that you paint and then stick up on the wall. I like it better than painted a swatch on the wall because you can easily move it around and then take it with you if you want to shop for fabrics or furniture. its larger than the paint swatch in the store so gives you a more accurate sense of what the color looks like.

my living room is linen white because I couldnt decide on a color. its pretty boring. I wouldnt recommend.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:19 pm
I have navajo white in my kitchen. its pretty yellow Sad

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:23 pm
Are you looking for a more modern, stylish look, or a bright, cozy look? That's how I see the two colors.

chatouli

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:25 pm
I just painted my dining room Navajo White. I really like it. It's not yellow, it's just a little creamy. But in full disclosure, I really dislike bright white. My bedrooms are linen white and my living room and now dining room are Navajo white. My kitchen, I can't remember the color, but it's much yellower. I find it cheerful Smile

avimom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:27 pm
thanks- I think Navajo white is similar to linen white... I'm not sure though that boring is bad :-)

avimom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:30 pm
hmm, do you think Manchester tan is really a modern/stylish look? I'm really looking for something timeless and if Manchester tan is not, maybe I'd go with the Navajo... Is Manchester tan a "cold" color???

avimom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:32 pm
Truth is, I don't mind either color- I just want to pick the one that will look the most pretty. Not looking to be in style, just bright and pretty.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:33 pm
Not cold, and not super modern. Just more so than NW.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:34 pm
Also, how does each color match your furniture and decor?

avimom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:34 pm
sorry for the continuous posting- just "thinking out loud". Granolamom- if you don't like the Navajo white, which color would you do instead? Do you think you would like the Manchester tan better?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics