Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What can 8 to 11 yr olds do for the 3 kidnapped boys?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 18 2014, 10:54 pm
I'm running a camp and we have been saying tehilim each morning for the kidnapped boys, but does anyone have other ideas of what we can do for them or in their merit? (They do not take the tehilim as seriously as I would like.)

It is an art camp for girls but we do other things so anything related to art or otherwise is fine.

tia

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 1:59 am
At that age, I think it is beautiful that they're saying tehilim and that is enough. I would be concerned if they throw a lot of energy into something it could be even more disturbing to them if CV there is an undesired outcome. I'm with you in hoping for the best but given the circumstances I fear the worst too, and I'd be hesitant to dwell on this too much with young children. If they're looking for a project, let them do something with a more visible outcome such as raising funds for the poor or bringing joy to someone in need - perhaps putting their art onto cards for people in nursing homes or something.

chani8

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 2:21 am
Do not focus any more time on this. The tehillim is enough, maybe even too much. Why would you want to push this? It's not your place.

sister

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 2:30 am
what do you mean its too much????? don't do more????
they are our brothers and sons!!!!

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 2:34 am
Let them write cards (pictures for art camp) to send to the Chayalim who are 24 hours a day/night out going door to door in Chevron and other Arab towns looking for them, breaking up the Chamas, confiscating weapons and arresting terrorists.

I take it you're not in Israel (we send cakes, snacks drinks...and encouraging notes) so if you want to really DO something past Tehillim, do a Chesed in the boy's name. But if you want a project to make the kids feel more connected let them make cards for the brave Chayalim (even though it won't get here before this is over - The kids won't realize). You can put a Pasuk/Tfilla on the cards. Making cards to chayalim will make the kids feel more connected. Like they're personally involved. (I'll send you a picture of my Chayal son and they can adopt him)

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 2:35 am
sister wrote:
what do you mean its too much????? don't do more????
they are our brothers and sons!!!!

Op is talking about 8-11 year olds. Adults should not be encouraging children that age to dwell on tragedy.it won't do anything good for them. They should get the message that we care, and then they should move on and have a good time in summer camp. They're kids.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 3:20 am
I disagree. I think it's davka very empowering for them to get involved in a concrete way. It can help them feel connected and useful and proactive. As Sanguine mentioned, helping the soldiers is one area where there is a need that these children can help fill and that can directly impact the search for the boys. At this point, it's not only the boys who are in danger but our soldiers as well. I can't find the info now -- maybe Sanguine can help here? -- but there is a new organization started by a group of Anglo olim that is raising funds and providing much-needed supplies such as underwear, toothbrushes, sunglasses, use of a pool (it's been in the 90's this week) etc. to our soldiers. So fundraising and supply-gathering and card-making would be perfect right now and they would give children a concrete, positive way to get involved.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 3:25 am
Found it:
http://jewcer.com/project/help.....-boys

Here's an article:
http://www.israelnationalnews......81856

sister

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 7:29 am
here in Israel we talk about terrorism and tragedy to children
and you know what? It gives them a sense of obligation to the jewish people and to their country
My son is ten and in his school they speak openly about terrorism and the shoah.
As an american it was at first difficult for me to grasp and now I think it is the right thing
we cannot hide the reality that exists in this country from our children

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 8:05 am
Talk to a crisis counselor in your community for IRL advice.
In a time of tzara, it is appropriate and healthy for children to be nosei ol and possibly to scale back on things. There's a story told some years ago of a family who decided not to go on their vacation, I think it was during the first Intifada, because they couldn't bring themselves to do this while acheinu were suffering. I think it's incredible, BUT OTOH, and this is really, really important, you can't be heavy-handed. This was an individual family, who made this decision and discussed it with a rav.
Don't worry if they're not saying Tehilim with all the kavanos. I like the ideas of cards, chesed, adoption chayaliim. They will learn that they can have an enjoyable activity that will benefit others. They will remember the feeling of having done something important, even if it seems trivial to you.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 8:21 am
sister wrote:
here in Israel we talk about terrorism and tragedy to children
and you know what? It gives them a sense of obligation to the jewish people and to their country
My son is ten and in his school they speak openly about terrorism and the shoah.
As an american it was at first difficult for me to grasp and now I think it is the right thing
we cannot hide the reality that exists in this country from our children

It's a totally different culture here. The whole country is one big family (not everyone gets along with their siblings but they still love them). When my grandmother died I didn't hide it from my young children. I didn't pull out the NY Times obituaries and tell them about all the other people who died that day but a death in the family was their reality. There's no shielding children from life here. We explain it in words they can understand. Listen to their questions. and use it to build their character. A responsibility to their country and nation, just like you would feel a responsibility to your own family. (of course, if it's all family, everyone feels like they have a right to an opinion on everything - That's the culture too)

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 8:24 am
Thanks for the suggestions. I think it is appropriate for the group to do something for/ or in the merit of the boys. They are young, but I have not and will not go into details about what happened to the boys.
I nearly mentioned that there are 3 boys in EY who are missing, and they all knew what I was saying.

I like the idea of cards. We will probably do this.

Thank you

kb

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:54 am
If they don't understand details about what happened, and how scary the situation is, I don't blame them for being half hearted about the tehillim.

Personally, I don't think I'd dwell on it with them. You can do some sort of mitzva project with them, as a zchus, but don't keep on talking about them. You don't know how or when this story will end and why set yourself up for a possible very difficult situation. Your campers parents are not sending you to make their kids spiritual and caring, they're sending them to camp to draw, etc.

Bezras Hashem all will end good very quickly. But being that we don't know that, I wouldn't talk about it with little kids that much. Unless you're prepared to deal with the results if chas vshalom things don't end well (they haven't always, you know).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics