Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Im crowd sourcing: Would you use such a service?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 5:52 pm
Would you use a service where someone from the community would do errands for you for a fee? Things like picking up dry cleaning, getting your mail mailed, going to the market, ironing? Obviously there are lots more things, but would you even pay someone to do such things?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
Would you use a service where someone from the community would do errands for you for a fee? Things like picking up dry cleaning, getting your mail mailed, going to the market, ironing? Obviously there are lots more things, but would you even pay someone to do such things?

The local cleaners all pick up and deliver, and will press things as well. Fresh Direct does a great job, and the local kosher market will deliver to regular customers. I rarely need to go to the post office.

There are services I would pay for, but the things you mention are pretty well covered already, at least where I live.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 6:34 pm
The wealthy people I know already have staff doing that stuff for them. The people who are not wealthy probably wouldn't go for it.

skcomputer

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 6:36 pm
Www.taskrabbit.com

kb

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 6:38 pm
There was someone who posted a while back that she wanted to know how much would be a normal amount to pay for someone to come in the morning to get her kids dressed fed and out to school. I remember thinking at the time what a good idea it was. (I personally wouldn't do it as a long term thing, but perhaps after a baby...? And I'm sure there are plenty of people who need to be out of the house early morning.)

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 6:49 pm
On a regular basis, probably not. But at times when things are really zany, or I am unable to get out (post baby or not well for example) I think such a service would be appreciated.

little_mage

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 6:59 pm
We don't have a car and I hate asking for rides-I'll admit that I would find something/someone who would go to places I can't reach myself easily useful, but I'm not sure our finances would allow me to pay for it.

Happy18

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 7:04 pm
All of these things are covered in my area. Unless you charged less than the current places or were much faster or more efficient I don't think it would be something I would use.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 7:35 pm
Everything is for sale, but it depends on the price.

MMCH

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 9:29 pm
so funny that you ask this.

ive been home for the past couple of months with my baby, and my sisters who live near me, both work full time, so whenever I ran out to the grocery, pharmacy, or cleaners, and the like, I would tell my sisters and get whatever they needed, and drop it off by their houses.
they both said, they are having the best couple of months! they never worry about these little errands anymore, one sister said that has never been this well stocked (for one sister, she tells me to get wtvr im making for supper, the same for her, so she hasn't thought about supper ideas in weeks!)

my husband recently said I should make a business out of this, I told him he was crazy..

but apparently not... lol
I think theres a customer for everything, but on the other hand, I think the ppl who can afford this service, already prob pays a full time housekeeper, and get everything delivered...

Kugglegirl

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 11:37 pm
I would use it at very stressed times -- like now when I am very pregnant, or at some other point when I am working full time.

Would also love to have someone who could stay & wait for repair people, or deliveries-- these are occasional, but very tough to schedule when working full time.

Maybe would use it weekly, if there was some kind of set price for up to x errands-- like it would help me be more organized & get all my stuff together if I knew that Wednesday was the day.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:08 am
Kugglegirl wrote:

Would also love to have someone who could stay & wait for repair people, or deliveries-- these are occasional, but very tough to schedule when working full time.

I know someone who does this. If she is expecting a delivery or waiting for a repairman she pays a lady $12/ hour (on the books) to do the waiting for her.

mirror

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:17 am
amother wrote:
I know someone who does this. If she is expecting a delivery or waiting for a repairman she pays a lady $12/ hour (on the books) to do the waiting for her.

There is definitely a need for this.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:22 am
amother wrote:

Right.
Forget the errands. Advertise a house-sitting service

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:33 am
Yes I would pay for it when pregnant or post partum or even not post partum but with a baby and toddler. Now, depends on price. I would have loved someone to pick up my kids when I was pregnant. Also now, so I don't need to take the stroller.

animeme

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 2:06 pm
I would pay someone to drive my kids to and from evening and afternoon activities, chavrusas, maariv, etc. I might pay for errands if I was sick or on bedrest or had a young baby in the winter.

sky

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 2:11 pm
Do live in an are where the services are available?
It sounds like people use it when it is available so if it isn't where you are then it sounds like a great idea?

I belive someone does this in Lakewood, has an errand service. I have no clue how it is doing - a lot of services here already deliver. I had a friend want to hire them to pick up a craigslist purchase an hour drive away because it was such a great deal (in the end she had it shipped).

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 2:24 pm
Are there any services that offer to pick up things that need to be toveled and return them completely clean? No need for the owner to remove stickers or deal with packaging or washing things afterwards. That would probably do well with kallahs (a great shower gift!) and right before Pesach.

debsey

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 6:31 pm
I would pay for a personal assistant! In a heartbeat.
debs

granolamom

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 8:36 am
someone in my area does this for the elderly, she also offers to take people to dr's appts and shopping, mani's, etc. its a slightly different service than what you're talking about, but similar.
personally, I wouldnt pay for it. I dont like to pay for things that I can do myself. but I bet many people who dont have the time to run errands would pay. its true that many shops offer delivery, but sometimes it can take a long time and you have to deal with each store. might be easier to call you and give you a list of errands and then just know its been taken care of.
you just have to market to the right group. some people will pay to free up their time.
I just read that people pay to have their kids camp bags packed for them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics