Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Whats the diff bet wheat germ and protein powder?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 11:48 pm
I'm trying to learn to eat/ cook healthy and thought this would be a nice secret way to sneak in nutrients Wink

What is the difference between wheat germ and protein powder? What kind of recipes could I use them for?

spinkles

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:00 am
Wheat germ is brown and it's in tiny little flakes. It's slightly sweet-tasting and nutty. Really good in muffins, bread, etc. My kids like it sprinkled on top of a vanilla yogurt, chopped banana, and walnut mixture. You can use wheat germ instead of some of the flour in many baked goods.

Protein powder is powder that has a weird taste. Some kids will eat it if you sneak it into smoothies. My kids won't.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 11:08 am
So wheat germ can be put into all baked good instead of flour? Will we taste a difference in the kugel/ cakes?
Can you do anything with protein powder besides smoothies?

granolamom

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 6:07 pm
I dont really know much about protein powder, my question is what is the protein source and how processed is it?

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 7:10 pm
Wheat germ is not a flour substitute but you can add it to many foods like kugel, casserole, pancakes, muffins, breads, and so on in place of part of the flour/matzah meal/breadcrumbs. It's too concentrated (and expensive!) to eat as a cereal straight but you can sprinkle it on top of cereal, yogurt and so on. You can add it to milkshakes but it does make them grainy. It goes rancid easily, and can taste a bit bitter, so store it in the fridge. If you like whole wheat products you'll like wheat germ; if you're a white-flour nut, you probably won't.

No, you cannot bake a cake by subbing wheat germ for flour. For one thing, it would cost the earth, and for another, it wouldn't work the same way at all. Flour is mainly starch with some protein and almost no fat and wheat germ has starch, protein and quite a bit of fat. It's also flaky, not powdery like flour, so the texture would be way off even if it made a palatable product. What you can do is sub a small quantity of wheat germ for an equal volume of flour--maybe 1/4 c. in a cake--and then it would have to be a hearty product like muffins or a tea "bread", not a delicate thing like angel cake or sponge cake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking