Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who composed this, when, and on which if any album?

Choirmistress

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 11:59 am
Who gets the credit for the slow, minor-key, 3/4 tune to "Ki lekach tov" that then repeats those first eight measures with "Eitz Chayim hi" through "me'ushar", the higher part of the melody then sung to "D'racheha" through "k'kedem"? I'm talking about one of the probably two or three most popular tunes sung to Hachnossas Sefer Torah.

Thanks in advance,
Choirmistress

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 11:32 pm
I have no idea, but now it's stuck in my head Smile
We sang it in our yekkish shul, but I have no idea if it was sung with that tune back in Germany. If I remember, I can ask my father who has quite a bit of knowledge of chazanus in European history.

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 12:32 pm
Thanks, H"Y.

The reason I'm asking is that the higher part of the melody reminds me of a secular tune and I'm curious whether some sort of connection may be there.

Thanks again.
Choirmistress.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 3:01 pm
Google is your friend.

While it may be based on something older, the one you are thinking of is attributed toTanchum Portnoy, "Tanchumin", 1975.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LRKx-5ENJM

HTH!

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 4:01 pm
Thank you, Singer!

Now I can give you and all the other readers here the details. If you've ever come across "Les Bicyclettes de Belsize", originally from a 1968 short film, you should recognize the major-key part of the melody as the major equivalent of the higher part of Tanchum Portnoy's version!

I am not imagining this! So given the chronology of the two songs, COULD Portnoy have been exposed to the "Bicyclettes" tune?!

Hmmm....

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the link to the YouTube video. We have indeed all been singing it quite astray from the way Tanchum meant it!

Kol Toov,
Choirmistress
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics