Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Self entertaining ideas for 11 yo dd

amother

Post Sat, Jun 21 2014, 11:25 pm
When my 11 yo dd is bored, she is a total disaster to the neighborhood. I took her on errands this morning, when we got back she watered the garden (and flooded the block in the process.) When the neighbors started complaining I told her to get in the shower, she did so, but with her clothing on and totally made a mess of the bathroom. This is just 20 minutes of her day. I'm looking for self-entertaining ideas for her to do. Social life is hard for her...
Thanks in advance!

5*Mom

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 1:37 am
This doesn't sound like typical 11-yr-old behavior. Are there other things going on? Developmental issues? Anger issues?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 2:26 pm
Yes, she has ADHD and developmentally she is on the level of a 5 year old...

November

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 2:36 pm
Maybe you can make a list of chores that could be helpful to you/her and take about 10-15 minutes to accomplish. Included could be dusting, washing dishes, calling a friend, writing a card, making her bed, folding laundry, hanging laundry. Give your daughter one task at a time and allow her to earn a turn doing something she enjoys that is calming, like a part of a video or tablet games. This type of exchange helps my kids to be more productive with their time. I will also sometimes write a To-do list for them and then give them time to check emails when it's done (or along the way).

5*Mom

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, she has ADHD and developmentally she is on the level of a 5 year old...

That sounds very challenging. Is there a professional involved who can give you suggestions tailor-made for your dd? Either a therapist or a psychologist or someone from her educational framework? Do you have anyone you can turn to regularly for guidance in parenting your daughter?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 4:16 pm
OP here, 5* - um, not sure if anyone quite understands her dynamics at home (yet)... We've been so busy trying to settle her at school... Starting family therapy soon IY"H, G-d speed the minute till the therapist can see us!!!
November, I'd love to try your ideas, they sound like a dream come true if I can implement!! Getting this child to lift a pinky is really challenging but letting her play electronics in between might work...
Thank you both!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children