Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
For someone who knows nothing about Seagate,

amother

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 11:24 am
For someone who knows nothing about Seagate, what should a person considering a house there know?

1- Are there Agudah type people, all ages, in Seagate?

2- Other than the Jewish Press, how do you find out about houses for sale?

3- I saw on Zillow taxes are $4,000 a year, but someone told me taxes are very high, do they mean special costs for Seagate residents, how does that work?

4- I heard something about basements flooding in the winter, is that more common in Seagate than other parts of Brooklyn?

5- What are the general pros and cons of living in Seagate?

6- Any downside of having a summer home in Seagate, bec the upside is that its close to Brooklyn.

7- What are the desirable blocks of Seagate, not too close to the water (scared of Sandy)?

8- Whats the average price of a house in Seagate, average size. 1 or 2 family?

9- The people who dont like Seagate, what are their reasons?

TIA

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:27 am
amother wrote:
For someone who knows nothing about Seagate, what should a person considering a house there know?

There are all kinds of people in Seagate, all types.

Hamodia? Driving around there and ringing doorbells. Looking at for sale signs. Contacting brokers that service the area. All houses are for sale for the right price!

3- I saw on Zillow taxes are $4,000 a year, but someone told me taxes are very high, do they mean special costs for Seagate residents, how does that work?

There are additional seagate taxes that range from $3-4000 extra a year on top of real estate taxes. This is for the police protection and the benefits of living in a closed safe gated community.

4- I heard something about basements flooding in the winter, is that more common in Seagate than other parts of Brooklyn?

Basements flood everywhere. Not necessarily more in Seagate than other areas.

Pros- peaceful, quiet, yet close enough to everything. Nice community, although small and not really much growth over the years. Cons- inconvenient shopping, driving at least twenty minutes to get anywhere, the need to have a car available all the time. Seagate taxes are burdensome.

6- Any downside of having a summer home in Seagate, bec the upside is that its close to Brooklyn.

Doesn't really get cool enough, is still the city, and is more expensive than a summer home out of the city.

7- What are the desirable blocks of Seagate, not too close to the water (scared of Sandy)?

The most desirable are actually the ones on the water, no matter how many hurricanes happen, they are still sought after and selling for the highest prices. Beachfront and ocean views are still the main reasons many people want to live there.

Depending on condition, the cheapest houses are currently going for about $500,000 without even looking at them, but they are hard to find and need work. Most houses will be sold for more than that. Now is a great time to buy if you find a desperate seller.

AH the real question. To find this answer, you would have to try to live in Seagate a while, and figure it out. Many simply had problems with transportation or other issues. Most of the people that stay there love it.

Any more questions?

TIA

worldpeace

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 4:51 am
Hi

I rent in Seagate
Adore the place
Greatest place to live
Can really answer your questions because I don't own my house sorry

Good luck!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 4:54 am
Those are a lot of questions Smile legitimate , but overwhelming Smile
When we were looking for a house there, literally about half the houses were for sale. This was five years ago. We were working with Donald nir. Not sure re spelling. He might be able to answer a lot of your questions and he certainly would be able to find a home for you. Ultimately we opted not to move there as it would be very difficult to get the kids to and from school every day.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 9:29 am
t
Not too many. I would say the majority of the frum people living in seagate are heimish/ chassidish backround. As in many wear streimels, but the women dont really look chassidish. There are maybe a handful of "Agudah" type families, mostly probably in their fifties. I definitely do not know everyone living in seagate, but I do know of most. If there will be more young "Agudah" type, I am moving in!
There are so many houses for Sale right now, it might be a good idea to drive around and see what you like.
Im not familiar with the taxes, because my family rented
not unless there is a major hurricane, like what happened by sandy
pros:quiet, peaceful, has an eruv, very nice people, many shuls,
cons: no stores, even grocery stores, so have to be very organized about grocery shopping, difficult to get kids places, not all schools have bussing to there.
if your kids are in day camps that have bussing to seagate, I cant think of any downside. I love seagate!!
depends wat u call desireable. If you mean which blocks have the most frum people, then I would have to say that almost every block has frum people, but the deeper-into-seagate has largest concentration
Im not so sure, but I think you can finf in the 450's-500's especially now, after sandy
its not their type.
they like to be in the center of action.
they have many kids in schools that dont have busses to seagate, and are busy carpooling all day.

TIA

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 6:22 pm
Im the amother above. Maybe you should rent out an apt for a weekend, so that you cld get a feel for the place

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 4:49 pm
bump from a new amother.

I also don't know much about Seagate. We are heimish/flatbush. We would want to buy if we are sure we like it there but maybe renting for a year? Anyone know where we could rent a house? IyH our family is expanding and would need something with space/closets/basement/backyard etc…

Any ideas of how to get a number for an apartment or house we can rent for a shabbos soon to see what the neighborhood is really like? Are people friendly to new families coming in, even though we have no family there. I heard that kids are not really playing outside like in boro park or flatbush but are always in each other's houses and backyards. Is that true of new families who move there too? Or is it a bit cliquey with the families from there with connections there? THANKS!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 7:20 pm
I love Seagate and go many times for shabbos. The people there are very friendly. In shul you can find a modern orthodox man sitting next to a chasidish man with white socks and everything in between. Meaning they all get along with each other no matter what type they are.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:50 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I love Seagate and go many times for shabbos. The people there are very friendly. In shul you can find a modern orthodox man sitting next to a chasidish man with white socks and everything in between. Meaning they all get along with each other no matter what type they are.

thank you. Anyone who lives there?

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:53 pm
I was there pretty recently and there were quite a few houses for sale.

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:

all types

word of mouth, from people that live there, by driving around

as others said there's a maintenance/ city tax of 3-4 k

idk

pros-lots of space compared to other areas, very friendly community
cons- if you're used to convenience at your fingertips you'll have an adjustment, There's no grocery store at your corner that's open til midnight....
You either hope your neighbor has what you're missingor you drive to the grocery.

can't think of any downsides

idk

very dependent on location -price goes up closer to the water

The fact that you have to drive to get anywhere, and getting your kids to school

TIA

I don't live there-this is based on the research I did when thinking about it

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:39 pm
Drive by and look for "for sale" signs. One house by the water was going for over a million.

One downside is high taxes. They have their own tax there. I think it's 4k a year. They have their own security there so...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating