Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Cooking with gas oven vs electric?

elsily

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 6:01 pm
My husband and I just moved and we now have a gas oven. I have only cooked before with electric. I have tried to bake some breads and desserts, and they have all turned out poorly. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to adjust the cooking time or recipe to cook with gas? I've used the same recipes as before and they just don't turn out the way they should. Thanks Smile

nylon

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 9:20 pm
Get an oven thermometer and check the temperature in your oven. It may be that your oven is off. I have never had a recipe change dramatically because of gas or electric heat in the oven. It makes less of a difference than the stove top (although I feel an electric oven heats a bit more evenly).

A tray if cookies is a good test item because it will show if your oven has significant hot spots.

elsily

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 5:12 pm
Thank you, I think this must be it. I just got an oven thermometer so hopefully I'll figure out what works. Smile

Bruria

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 8:49 pm
The opposite happened to me, had gas oven, now electric and it took me a bit to adjust!

elsily

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 3:04 pm
Just following up - I found out my oven is 50 degrees cooler than the temp I set it to, based on my in-oven thermometer! This seems like a huge variation... Maybe I need to have it repaired?

I've baked based on the in-oven thermometer and haven't had any issues since!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics