Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Two songs, same tune -- chicken and egg?

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 12:40 pm
Which came first, and therefore which other "borrowed" it from the first?!

"Heiliger Shabbos" (MBD?) or "Close Every Door to Me" (Joseph and the Amazetc. -- Andrew Lloyd-Webber)?

Thanks in advance.
Choirmistress

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:04 pm
I'm a cynic, I always assume Jewish people "borrowed" it. Confused

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat came out in the 1970s.

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:37 pm
Thanks, bigsis. I must confess to often being a cynic myself. (Part and parcel of belonging to the world's most skeptical nation?) But I wouldn't LIKE to be a cynic. So I think I'll do some more research and get back to everybody on that.

Regards,
Choirmistress

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:49 pm
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Song adaptations

A few of MBD's songs are adaptations of well-known, non-Jewish songs.

"Hinei Lo Yanum" on Hineni (1975) is an adaptation of "Mamy Blue", originally composed by veteran French songwriter Hubert Giraud in 1970. In May 1971, Alain Milhaud, a French record producer based in Spain, acquired the song for Pop-Tops.
"Lichtiger Shabbos" on Just One Shabbos (1982) [retitled "Yiddish" on Solid MBD (1993)] is an adaptation of "Close Every Door To Me", from the musical theater production Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
"Kumt Aheim" on Jerusalem: Not For Sale (1986), commonly referred to as "Yidden" and retitled as such for the CD release, uses the music of "Dschinghis Khan" (English: Genghis Khan), from the German band Dschinghis Khan.
"Father Dear" on Yerushalayim Our Home (1988) [retitled "Daddy Dear" on The English Collection (1998)] uses music from "Little Child", performed by many earlier singers, notably Cab Calloway and his daughter in 1956; it, in turn, is adapted from an earlier French song.[16]
"Shir Hashalom" is an adaptation from Bobby Vinton's "My Melody of Love".
In addition, "Vechol Maminim", from MBD's album of the same name, was an adaptation of "Tov Lehodos", an earlier song by Shlomo Carlebach.

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 3:25 pm
Hi, Singer. (Wish I were still one!)

Yes, I just got back from searching all over the place and finally finding the same Wikipedia entry you did. It wasn't too hard to figure out:

"Close Every Door to Me" -- released 1969;

"Lichtiger Shabbos" (sorry about the incorrect and confusing mistitling in my original post) -- released on "Just One Shabbos" January 1, 1981.

So there you go.

Regards,
Choirmistress

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 4:24 pm
There are so many Jewish songs that have their origin from non jewish tunes.

Take a very well known one, yidden by MBD, the tune is from Dschinghis Khan's song Genghis Khan.

Original:

Yidden:

Choirmistress

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 11:09 am
I don't have the album, "Just One Shabbos", of which "Lichtiger Shabbos" is one of the tracks. Does anyone here have all the lyrics to that one particular song? I'd appreciate them in either Hebrew or Latin alphabet.

I intend to do a singable English translation. (By "singable", I mean matching the original in rhythm, and usually, in rhyme scheme.)

Thanks in advance.

Kol toov,
Choirmistress

Choirmistress

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:36 am
My cousin in Flatbush (I'm a Torontonian) painstakingly dictated to me over the phone (and when I say painstakingly I mean not just word for word but os for os) the lyrics to the first verse and the chorus. That was this past Sunday evening. I did the translation into English (yes, matching the rhyme and rhythm, thank you) in less than an hour's worth of break time (maybe even less than half an hour) the next morning at work. But I am still missing the second and subsequent verses, and I am determined not only to finish translating the entire song, but to typeset both the Yiddish and English versions, in time for me to take along a copy on my visit to her iy"H for the second days of Sukkos.

Again, note that I cannot clearly hear an audio version due to tinnitus-associated hearing loss. If anyone here can make out (from a video, perhaps the one on YouTube, or from the CD) the words following the first instance of the chorus, please post them or PM me. I would, of course, prefer them complete and correct, but I don't care whether they are in the Hebrew or the Latin alphabet.

Thanks in advance and a K'siva v'Chasima Tova to one and all. May this coming Lu'ach be the last one printed in Golus.

Regards,
Choirmistress

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 7:52 pm
Many such fine examples:

Piamenta's "Asher Bara Sasson/mazel tov" wedding one
Men at Work's "Down Under"

Tzur mishelo (one of the tunes) is actually a Ladino love song Los Bilbilicos

and of course you have
Hatikva
Smetana's Die Maldau
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics