Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When did your toddler drop the nap?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 6:12 am
My toddler is coming up to 27 months and is still napping in the day.

At what age to kids usually stop napping and how do you initiate this? Do you gradually reduce the length of the nap? Over what period of time?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 6:23 am
My son is 27 1/2 months and I just told his morah not to give him a nap. I've been cutting it a bit for a couple months. His bedtime is 6:15 but with a nap 8 or so

busydev

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 6:25 am
my son is 32mo and still naps. every few months we adjust the timing when he starts consistantly waking up to early in the morning (usually sleeps 8-7, so when he wakes at 5 for 2 weeks straight shortening his nap by half an hour has helped). currently he naps for about 1.5hrs and has to be woken by 4. I never thought I would wake a kid from a nap, but id rather more night sleep then day sleep...

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 6:41 am
Thank you both for your replies :-)

My DD has never been a consistent sleeper. She goes to bed much later than I'd like but I just can't cope when she gets up really early so I'd prefer her to go to bed later so that if she does have an early wake-up, it is not too early. She never has lots of early wake-ups in a row though, it's random.

She has also always been a bad sleeper at night. She has only ever slept through the night twice. She usually wakes up 2-3 times although last night was a good night and she only got up once.

Obviously I've been trying forever to fix this and how she is approaching 27 months I am wondering what impact dropping her nap would have. So far, I have been shortening it for a while but this has had no impact on her sleep.

Do kids usually sleep longer at night once they drop the nap? I must be honest, I'll miss the nap when she does drop it, I find it difficult to get things done in the house otherwise!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 8:24 am
They say if you put them to bed earlier they sleep longer

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:21 am
It didn't work for us. I loved having the evening with DH but she would consistenly get up at 5 or before.

My Brother has a dd the same age who they put to bed at 7.30 each night and she is Always up at 5 too (and also get up 2-4 times per night.)

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 5:25 am
I let my kids guide me. My oldest stopped napping at 15 months. He went from two shorter naps to one loooong nap (usually around 11-2) to no nap. My middle one (who will be 5 next month) still naps after school sometimes and sometimes on shabbos or Sunday. My baby (just turned 2) used to nap from 11/12-1/2 but then I started working and he would sleep in the car for 45 minutes until the girls got in from carpool. If I put him in for a nap now he goes, but only at home. He won't nap if we are at someone else's house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics