Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is this message genuine or not?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 9:59 am
On facebook, I responded to somebody on a group that I am a member of to do with kosher issues.
Just now this young man sent me a private message, saying he is French and will be coming to the country in a few weeks time and looking for a kosher room to rent, he says he is religious (although from his profile he doesn't seem to be). He is asking me for advice on where to look for a room.
I am not sure whether to answer or ignore him? Does he genuinely need advice do you think or is he just a weirdo trying to start a conversation with me? A bit weird that he just randomly sent someone he doesn't know a message?

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:07 am
If he saw you responded regarding kosher issues and you live inthe area he will be he is probably genuinely asking.

What does it hurt to answer him so long as you don't give out personal information.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:09 am
My baloney detector went off. Let it alone. It is probable that a strapping young man won't have to sleep in the street and waste away from sheer neglect if you just ignore this message. Simply do not respond in any way.

This makes me uneasy.

One never knows. He may not be a Jew at all. Skittish, I am, over here. You are being lured. Possibly.

If he does sleep in the park, and dies from a chill, we will still pardon you. You couldn't know.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:10 am
There is a French outfit, Orthodox, he can contact.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:11 am
He may have no contact there at all. Tell him to ask chabad.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:14 am
I found this with google:

http://www.ccfnewyork.com/

Of course I have no idea where he is going. Yes, google chabad, and the name of the town he is visiting.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:25 am
I think it's probably safe to direct him to a list of shuls, and tell him to ask the rabbis for advice.

Of course, many communities also have lists on google groups, where people post about housing, so if you know of such a list, you could steer him in that direction.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:31 am
a lot of french people don't look outwardly religious but are traditional - he probably keeps kosher, maybe even shabbos, either partly or completely.

In paris we had a nice french waitress wearing skin tight jeans who was fasting that day since it was shiva asar btammuz.

I don't see the harm in giving him information.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette