Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
IF YOU MADE ALIYAH IN 3 MONTHS OR LESS
1  2  Next

Are you happy you made a quick aliyah
YES!! Definitely  
 55%  [ 11 ]
NO. It was a disaster  
 45%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:04 am
I am an OP of a different post discussing my Aliyah plans and many people have advised me to come before the birth of my baby instead of after. First most I have children who do not know the language and I am so concerned about their adjustment.

In addition - My husband is a green card holder/U.S resident who would has just applied for citizenship and we are really concerned because he needs to stills needs to show up for his bio-metrics appointment and interview/take test etc. Anyone have any advice they could offer? Does anyone know if you could apply for U.S citizenship from Israel without complications as I understand the government offices are a pain in a neck.

Another thing is I have to obtain Israeli passports for all my children? Does anyone remember how long it took to get theirs?

Any other down falls of going to Israel quickly vs taking your time? Any regrets? Opinions? Issues?

What was the hardest AND most time consuming thing for you to accomplish while making aliyah?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:08 am
amother wrote:
I am an OP of a different post discussing my Aliyah plans and many people have advised me to come before the birth of my baby instead of after. First most I have children who do not know the language and I am so concerned about their adjustment.

In addition - My husband is a green card holder/U.S resident who would has just applied for citizenship and we are really concerned because he needs to stills needs to show up for his bio-metrics appointment and interview/take test etc. Anyone have any advice they could offer? Does anyone know if you could apply for U.S citizenship from Israel without complications as I understand the government offices are a pain in a neck.

Another thing is I have to obtain Israeli passports for all my children? Does anyone remember how long it took to get theirs?

Any other down falls of going to Israel quickly vs taking your time? Any regrets? Opinions? Issues?

What was the hardest AND most time consuming thing for you to accomplish while making aliyah?
When aliyah is in discussion, never do things half baked. Take the time you need to do everything correctly.

My parents who just made aliyah a month ago, took months to get everything ready. It turned out that in the middle of their planning they found out that my mother was an israeli citizen because her mother was many many years ago, so my mother needed an israeli passport. It took a while to get the passport.

I will just say again, dont do anything half baked and take the time you need to do everything correctly. It will be worth it in the end.

Also, in terms of language skills for your children, how old are they?

Is your husband Israeli (is that why your kids need israeli passports?)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:12 am
If you want U.S. citizenship, I think you need to stay there until you get it. Unless you are willing to risk no having it - which is no longer such a big deal. Take note: you still have to file U.S. taxes even if you live abroad. If you are a citizen, of course...

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:25 am
[quote="shabbatiscoming"]When aliyah is in discussion, never do things half baked. Take the time you need to do everything correctly.

My parents who just made aliyah a month ago, took months to get everything ready. It turned out that in the middle of their planning they found out that my mother was an israeli citizen because her mother was many many years ago, so my mother needed an israeli passport. It took a while to get the passport.

I will just say again, dont do anything half baked and take the time you need to do everything correctly. It will be worth it in the end.

Is your husband Israeli (is that why your kids need israeli passports?)[/quote]

Yes - my husband is Israeli. My children are young 3 and 4.5 but their personalities are not very easy going. They need time to adjust to change (like any kid but more so). I am concerned that my son's first year might be a little difficult and he would need an extra year to learn the language and Aleph- Bais instead of throwing him into kriah next year.

[quote="Tamiri"]If you want U.S. citizenship, I think you need to stay there until you get it. Unless you are willing to risk no having it - which is no longer such a big deal. Take note: you still have to file U.S. taxes even if you live abroad. If you are a citizen, of course...[/quote][color=blue] [/color]

Why is US citizenship not a big deal anymore. Don't you need a citizenship if you want to come back to the US or visit often?

bigdreamer

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:27 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
When aliyah is in discussion, never do things half baked. Take the time you need to do everything correctly.

Is your husband Israeli (is that why your kids need israeli passports?)

Yes - my husband is Israeli. My children are young 3 and 4.5 but their personalities are not very easy going. They need time to adjust to change (like any kid but more so). I am concerned that my son's first year might be a little difficult and he would need an extra year to learn the language and Aleph- Bais instead of throwing him into kriah next year.

Tamiri wrote:
If you want U.S. citizenship, I think you need to stay there until you get it. Unless you are willing to risk no having it - which is no longer such a big deal. Take note: you still have to file U.S. taxes even if you live abroad. If you are a citizen, of course...

Why is US citizenship not a big deal anymore. Don't you need a citizenship if you want to come back to the US or visit often?

Finally figured out how to quote!!!

ROFL

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:27 am
I think if you leave the us than you DH can not get citizenship . You have to be living here to get it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:50 am
bigdreamer wrote:

Finally figured out how to quote!!!
My husband is not american, I am. He got a 10 year visa about 9 years ago.
But we asked about citizenship. To get that you have to be living in america to do that. He cant live in Israel.

And in terms of your children's ages and language, I think they are at perfect ages to still get the language. At those ages, it can still be completely fine to grasp the language, even if they may get to school not right as they start the year.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:56 am
bigdreamer wrote:
Got it- How do I apply for one of those?? Once I am already in Israel or I have to do it from here?? Is it difficult to obtain? Shabbatiscoming - your a such a big help. Thanks soooo much!!!!!
My husband and I met here, in Israel. He went to the american embassy (or it could have been the consulate) to get a visa (I think they are for 10 years at a time). He had to bring all sorts of papers there, things certifying that he was returning to israel (employers wrote things) and bank statements, things like that. I dont think you can do that in america, but I have no idea. My husband had never been to america before we met in Israel.

bigdreamer

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:58 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
My husband is not american, I am. He got a 10 year visa about 9 years ago.
But we asked about citizenship. To get that you have to be living in america to do that. He cant live in Israel.

And in terms of your children's ages and language, I think they are at perfect ages to still get the language. At those ages, it can still be completely fine to grasp the language, even if they may get to school not right as they start the year.

Got it- How do I apply for one of those?? Once I am already in Israel or I have to do it from here?? Is it difficult to obtain? Shabbatiscoming - your a such a big help. Thanks soooo much!!!!!

Honestly- I am so confused. I just don't know anymore. come before baby..come after baby...come before school...wait...rush...I am so confused. I have so much anxiety about this. I don't know what to do. I feel like it is so overwhelming for me....HELP!!! Sad At wits end Dont know Hypnotized What What What What What Help Help Help

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 12:01 pm
If he wants U.S. citizenship, make that your goal and see if you still want to come afterwards.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 12:06 pm
The citizenship business because the IRS has been harassing Americans abroad, particularly Israelis, with their tax returns, which a citizen must continue to file annually. If you think it's worth it - go for it.

miriamg

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 1:49 pm
Regarding your husband's green card: to the best of my knowledge, he will not be able to keep his green card anyway if he moves to Israel. As a side note, this may be good for you, because he will not be required to pay US taxes on non-US income.

I did a google search and found the following information which may be helpful:
Source: http://www.nolo.com/legal-ency......html

Quote:
Once you receive a green card, you must meet a few conditions if you want to keep it for life. For one thing, you must not violate certain criminal or immigration laws -- including one law that requires you to advise the immigration authorities within ten days if you change addresses. For another, you must not abandon the United States as your permanent residence.

If You Live Outside the U.S.
Many people wrongly believe that to keep your green card all you need to do is enter the U.S. at least once a year. The fact is that if you ever leave the U.S. with the intention of making some other country your permanent home, you give up your U.S. residency when you go. The border officials will look at your behavior for signals that your real place of residence is not the United States.
As a general rule, if you have a green card and leave the United States for more than one year, you may have difficulty reentering the country. That is because the U.S. government feels that an absence of longer than one year indicates a possible abandonment of U.S. residence. Even if you do return before one year, you may run into trouble. To avoid a full-scale inspection, return within six months.
On the other hand, remaining outside the U.S. for more than one year does not mean you automatically lose your green card. If your absence was intended from the start to be only temporary -- for example, you left for vacation, but had a head injury and forget who you were for a year -- you may be able to argue to keep your permanent resident status. However, you may no longer use your green card as a U.S. entry document. You must have what is known as a reentry permit, or you must apply at a U.S. consulate for a special immigrant visa as a returning resident.

The Commuter Exception
Green card holders who commute to work in the U.S. from Canada or Mexico on a daily or seasonal basis may keep their cards even while actually living outside the country. USCIS will grant you commuter status if you advise them of your intention to live on the other side of the U.S. border.

Returning Resident Visas
If you stay outside the United States for more than one year and do not get a reentry permit (described below) before leaving, you must apply at a U.S. consulate abroad for a special immigrant visa as a returning resident. You must convince the consular officer that your absence was temporary and you never planned to abandon your U.S. residence.
You will have to show evidence that you were kept away longer than one year due to unforeseen circumstances. Such evidence might be a letter from a doctor showing that you or a family member had a medical problem.

Reentry Permits
If you hold a green card and know in advance that you must be outside the United States for more than one year, it's worth applying to USCIS for a reentry permit. This lets you to stay away for up to two years.
You should send in your application before leaving, and wait until you've been called in for your biometrics (fingerprinting) appointment. Use Form I-131, available on the USCIS website. Your reentry permit will serve as an entry document when you are ready to return.
Reentry permits cannot be renewed and can be applied for only inside the United States. If you want to stay away for more than two years, you must return briefly and apply for another reentry permit.

File for Citizenship to Avoid These Problems
You can lower the chances of losing your residence in the United States by applying for citizenship, as soon as you are eligible. The waiting time for eligibility is usually five years after you get a green card, but there are exceptions: For example, the wait essentially drops to four years if you received asylum (because your first year as an asylee counts), and to three years if, at the time you got your green card, you were married to a U.S. citizen and you're still married and living together.

B'Hatzlacha with all your decisions!

November

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 1:59 pm
Do you feel you have time to properly pack and get rid of things you won't be taking and buy things you might want to have brought? We made aliyah in a short time and those things were very difficult for me. We've been in Israel for almost 4 years and I still look back on that time period negatively.

Bruria

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 5:41 pm
I don't think they would give him a green card if the intention is living outside the US, perhaps it's best to ask an immigration lawyer.

bigdreamer

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 6:07 pm
miriamg wrote:
Regarding your husband's green card: to the best of my knowledge, he will not be able to keep his green card anyway if he moves to Israel. As a side note, this may be good for you, because he will not be required to pay US taxes on non-US income.

I did a google search and found the following information which may be helpful:
Source: http://www.nolo.com/legal-ency......html

Quote:
Once you receive a green card, you must meet a few conditions if you want to keep it for life. For one thing, you must not violate certain criminal or immigration laws -- including one law that requires you to advise the immigration authorities within ten days if you change addresses. For another, you must not abandon the United States as your permanent residence.

If You Live Outside the U.S.
Many people wrongly believe that to keep your green card all you need to do is enter the U.S. at least once a year. The fact is that if you ever leave the U.S. with the intention of making some other country your permanent home, you give up your U.S. residency when you go. The border officials will look at your behavior for signals that your real place of residence is not the United States.
As a general rule, if you have a green card and leave the United States for more than one year, you may have difficulty reentering the country. That is because the U.S. government feels that an absence of longer than one year indicates a possible abandonment of U.S. residence. Even if you do return before one year, you may run into trouble. To avoid a full-scale inspection, return within six months.
On the other hand, remaining outside the U.S. for more than one year does not mean you automatically lose your green card. If your absence was intended from the start to be only temporary -- for example, you left for vacation, but had a head injury and forget who you were for a year -- you may be able to argue to keep your permanent resident status. However, you may no longer use your green card as a U.S. entry document. You must have what is known as a reentry permit, or you must apply at a U.S. consulate for a special immigrant visa as a returning resident.

The Commuter Exception
Green card holders who commute to work in the U.S. from Canada or Mexico on a daily or seasonal basis may keep their cards even while actually living outside the country. USCIS will grant you commuter status if you advise them of your intention to live on the other side of the U.S. border.

Returning Resident Visas
If you stay outside the United States for more than one year and do not get a reentry permit (described below) before leaving, you must apply at a U.S. consulate abroad for a special immigrant visa as a returning resident. You must convince the consular officer that your absence was temporary and you never planned to abandon your U.S. residence.
You will have to show evidence that you were kept away longer than one year due to unforeseen circumstances. Such evidence might be a letter from a doctor showing that you or a family member had a medical problem.

Reentry Permits
If you hold a green card and know in advance that you must be outside the United States for more than one year, it's worth applying to USCIS for a reentry permit. This lets you to stay away for up to two years.
You should send in your application before leaving, and wait until you've been called in for your biometrics (fingerprinting) appointment. Use Form I-131, available on the USCIS website. Your reentry permit will serve as an entry document when you are ready to return.
Reentry permits cannot be renewed and can be applied for only inside the United States. If you want to stay away for more than two years, you must return briefly and apply for another reentry permit.

File for Citizenship to Avoid These Problems
You can lower the chances of losing your residence in the United States by applying for citizenship, as soon as you are eligible. The waiting time for eligibility is usually five years after you get a green card, but there are exceptions: For example, the wait essentially drops to four years if you received asylum (because your first year as an asylee counts), and to three years if, at the time you got your green card, you were married to a U.S. citizen and you're still married and living together.

B'Hatzlacha with all your decisions!

OMG!! How mice of you to do that research??!! Thanks!!!!!!

November wrote:
Do you feel you have time to properly pack and get rid of things you won't be taking and buy things you might want to have brought? We made aliyah in a short time and those things were very difficult for me. We've been in Israel for almost 4 years and I still look back on that time period negatively.

I dont want to feel negative about it and I feel that is what will happen. I dont have enough time to do all these things. I just think that maybe I need to put my needs aside so that my son can adjust as best as possible?? But I am really confused that is the truth.

Bruria wrote:
I don't think they would give him a green card if the intention is living outside the US, perhaps it's best to ask an immigration lawyer.
[b]

Your are actually right. We did contact our immigration lawyer and he advised us not to move so quickly till the process is finalized....sighs

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 1:06 am
bigdreamer wrote:
[b]

Your are actually right. We did contact our immigration lawyer and he advised us not to move so quickly till the process is finalized....sighs
Does your husband NEED american citizenship? Right now? At all?

bigdreamer

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 5:35 am
[quote="shabbatiscoming"]Does your husband NEED american citizenship? Right now? At all?[/quote]
no - he does not actually. But we don't want to have an emergency and then be stuck in Israel

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 6:06 am
bigdreamer wrote:
no - he does not actually. But we don't want to have an emergency and then be stuck in Israel
How is he staying in america now? you should probably speak with an immigration's lawyer or to the embassy or something like that to find out what your best option is.

bigdreamer

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 2:18 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
How is he staying in america now? you should probably speak with an immigration's lawyer or to the embassy or something like that to find out what your best option is.

My husband has a valid greencard which enables him to reside in the country with out any issues. - Our lawyer has advised us to stay until after the documentation has been finished.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 2:20 pm
bigdreamer wrote:
My husband has a valid greencard which enables him to reside in the country with out any issues. - Our lawyer has advised us to stay until after the documentation has been finished.
Right, but if he leaves, can he come back in with no issues? I am not sure about that.

If citizenship is very important for you guys you should finish that first, get it over with and then only then think about aliyah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions