Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What has Obama said about bringing back our boys?

Mevater

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 5:16 pm
AFAIK theres been deafening silence.

No words to express.

What can we do about it?

Has there been a comment or some gesture from Obama that I'm not aware of?

motherof5

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 5:21 pm
   ​Please call the White House  every day: 202-456-1111. The White House comments line is open from 9 am 4 pm EST, Monday – Friday.

here is a suggested script

“Hi, my name is X from Y and I am calling about the three kidnapped Israeli teenagers. Does the President have any plans to make a statement about the issue? Does he plan to assist or show support to Israel in recovering these teenagers, one of whom, Naftali Frenkel, is an American citizen?”

Mevater

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 5:51 pm
motherof5 wrote:
   ​Please call the White House  every day: 202-456-1111. The White House comments line is open from 9 am 4 pm EST, Monday – Friday.

here is a suggested script

“Hi, my name is X from Y and I am calling about the three kidnapped Israeli teenagers. Does the President have any plans to make a statement about the issue? Does he plan to assist or show support to Israel in recovering these teenagers, one of whom, Naftali Frenkel, is an American citizen?”

Love it! We should all post it on Facebook and encourage spreading this!

chani4

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 6:36 pm
There's a video of the mothers addressing the un.[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UU0BEdffpLEGzPtPD3O8-XgQ&v=rswuKg32mqg[/youtube]

morah

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 6:41 pm
John Kerry made statement a few days later, but that doesn't count. Especially given the fact that one of the boys holds American citizenship. I will try that posted statement tomorrow.

marina

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 6:54 pm
wait, why doesn't this count?

http://www.state.gov/secretary.....9.htm

Because you want Obama to personally comment on every political kidnapping that happens across the world? Lol

Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 7:00 pm
marina wrote:

Because you want Obama to personally comment on every political kidnapping that happens across the world? Lol

When the kidnapping involves a child with US citizenship, then yes, the president should personally comment.

etky

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:49 pm
Israel is not anywhere "across the world". Our actions vis-a-vis the Palestinians are examined under a microscope by the international community including the US. Wholesale slaughter may be going on in other corners of the globe but even the most restrained Israeli anti-terror operations are routinely scrutinized, picked apart, and publicly judged by a different standard, by governments and the media alike. Therefore one would expect governments that purport to be 'even-handed' to comment strongly and condemn the kidnappings with the same vehemence usually reserved for Israeli anti-terror actions.
The US has in the past strongly condemned terror attacks against Israel. The kidnappings are part of the terror campaign against Israel and should be denounced as such, moreover that there is still hopefully what to do on behalf of the victims.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:47 pm
It would be decent if he'd say SOMETHING. But perhaps it's best if he stays out of it. Everything he touches turns to garbage anyway.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:16 am
DrMom wrote:
It would be decent if he'd say SOMETHING. But perhaps it's best if he stays out of it. Everything he touches turns to garbage anyway.

I'm with you.

marina

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 10:17 am
Orchid wrote:
When the kidnapping involves a child with US citizenship, then yes, the president should personally comment.

I find this to be crass. If you are going to condemn terror, please don't do it only when Americans are involved.

marina

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 10:20 am
etky wrote:
Israel is not anywhere "across the world". Our actions vis-a-vis the Palestinians are examined under a microscope by the international community including the US. Wholesale slaughter may be going on in other corners of the globe but even the most restrained Israeli anti-terror operations are routinely scrutinized, picked apart, and publicly judged by a different standard, by governments and the media alike. Therefore one would expect governments that purport to be 'even-handed' to comment strongly and condemn the kidnappings with the same vehemence usually reserved for Israeli anti-terror actions.
The US has in the past strongly condemned terror attacks against Israel. The kidnappings are part of the terror campaign against Israel and should be denounced as such, moreover that there is still hopefully what to do on behalf of the victims.

By the President personally? Every time?

etky

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:02 pm
marina wrote:
By the President personally? Every time?

Unfortunately, the situation we are in now in Israel is in some ways 'bigger' than a conventional terror attack.
We are in a crisis situation that has mobilized Israeli society for the past two weeks and with no end in sight.
There is a very significant military operation under way as a direct result of these kidnappings.
The entire population is holding its breath.
Yes, I would expect a personal reaction from the president under such circumstances, especially since this is an ongoing situation and the application of American pressure might potentially expedite the boys' release.
It has been reported that Obama told Peres this evening at the White House that he would work tirelessly to bring the boys home and that 'his heart is with us'. Let's hope that he means it and that if so, US efforts are fruitfull.

fmt4

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:19 pm
etky wrote:

Does the president ever make any personal statements when Palestinians are killed by Israeli soldiers?

Talya

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:21 pm
marina wrote:

I can't recall another terror attack where the president didn't comment personally.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:41 pm
marina wrote:
I find this to be crass. If you are going to condemn terror, please don't do it only when Americans are involved.

I disagree with this, or at least partially. I agree that the U.S. government, including of course the president, should condemn terror in all places and times. However I do believe it is reasonable to expect a different, more personal response when an American citizen is involved. Part of the role of a government is to protect its citizens. If a citizen in a foreign country is in trouble it is within the rights of his own government to get involved, and it is quite typical for governments to act on behalf of their citizens in much more extensive ways then they would in response to a general humanitarian crisis that does not involve their own citizens. A terror attack involving U.S. citizens IS more of the president's "business" so to speak, then one that doesn't involve his own citizens.

When wars break out throughout the world it is not unusual for governments of other countries to help their citizens get out, for example. When terrorists executed numerous plane hijackings in the 70's, generally each country negotiated on behalf of its own citizens. When American citizens are imprisoned overseas, the U.S. government will often advocate on their behalf.

In terms of this specific event, I would expect a personal statement from the president in any case where a U.S. citizen was the victim of a terror attack or any political kidnapping or violence. And if a U.S. citizen was killed by Israeli soldiers, as an earlier poster asked, yes, I would expect the president to address that as well.

But from a pragmatic perspective, I actually think it is better for the Israeli government that the U.S. keeps its distance on this case. If the U.S. seemed more involved there would be more pressure the act with "restraint", and I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be in Israel aren't really looking for too much involvement by the U.S., preferring to have the freedom to conduct this campaign in the most effective way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics