Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Questions on CIO

Mommastuff

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:21 pm
MY 9 mo. old has a sensitive stomach. He needs to burp with a lot of help and multiple times, too.
Can I do the CIO method if he sometimes wakes up because he needs to burp or needs something for his stomach (like medicine)? I don't always know if he's waking up because he's used to doing that, or he needs attending to him (I don't always have to take him out of the crib for that)

he sleeps in my room (there's no room elsewhere) with no room for a divider/curtain. When he wakes up in the night, he sees me.

Can I do the CIO method in the middle of the night if he's right next to me? How long do I let him cry?

TIA!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:50 pm
You're asking if you can let him cry in pain instead of helping him relieve his gas? No.

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:01 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
You're asking if you can let him cry in pain instead of helping him relieve his gas? No.

NO! I'm asking if cio is possible when I sometimes have to help him with gas. Is cio an "all or nothing" solution?
also, can I use this method if he sleeps right next to my bed?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:09 am
How are you going to know if he needs you or not?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 1:45 am
I did cio with my baby in my room. He was older, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. It was harder for me because he's right there and it's so much easier to just nurse than listen to crying. But I would say shmerel, lie down. And eventually, he caught on. It took about a week per feed I wanted to stop, and now (a good four plus months later) he goes to sleep by himself and sleeps through till morning (usually!). And he doesn't sleep in my room anymore :-)

sunny90

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 3:21 am
Well, CIO is assuming your baby is full, clean, comfortable and ready for bed.
If he's not comfortable because he needs burping, do what you need to do, and at the point when you would normally put him to sleep in other ways, then you let him cry.
e.g. I did cio with my 6 mo. It was amazing, it took one night and now for the most part he sleeps through. But occasionally he does wake up in the middle of the night, so I go check on him in case there's something bothering him like for example the Tylenol for his teething wore off so I'll give him another dose. Or he has a dirty diaper. Then when I know I took care of him, I go back to bed. He usually cries for a tiny bit and falls back asleep.
So you see its not all or nothing where you leave the room at 7 pm and don't walk back in til 7 am.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics