Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What can I do to help 3MO sleep through the night ?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:30 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Just to clarify, I did not say that eating every three hours at night is a necessity for every three month old. If a baby that age is crying and eating a full feeding, it's a necessity for HIM.

I'm the amother of the 2 month old

Agreed!

I realized I didnt add that little bit to my post also

21young

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:42 am
I have a 3 year old who I sleep trained from the start, and at 3 months I sleep trained my now 6-month old. My pediatrician is a big believer in it; he was the one who gave me the push to do it with this baby, who was more difficult than my first.

This is what I did:
Do a later bedtime (I do 9:30) so you get a long stretch during the bulk of the night. Once the baby is trained you can slowly move bedtime up.
Do the same routine every night - I would give her a bath, hold her and sing a little bit, and then swaddle her and put her in with a bottle. When she finished the bottle she was getting drowsy and I would give her a pacifier.
After that, do not give the baby a bottle when she wakes up. That's the golden rule, and although I don't like doing it I rely on my pediatrician who insists that at 3 months she's not hungry anymore; she's waking up out of habit.
When she woke up I would give her a pacifier, rub her back, etc., but no bottle and no taking her out. Also, the baby should not be in your room anymore.

I had 1-2 really hard weeks, but now my baby is fully sleep trained. Good luck!

lfab

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:48 am
2 ideas I have heard of that you can try:

1. Give baby a "dream feed". This is when you wake baby up right before you go to sleep and feed him a few ounces to eat and then go to bed right after. This will, hopefully, give you a bit of a longer stretch of sleep before his first night feeding. So for example if he normally eats at about 7:30/8:00, and you go to bed at 10:30/11:00 and then wakes up at 12:00/12:30 try feeding him a bottle at around 10:00 or so. Then he may sleep until 2:00 instead of 12:00 giving you a few extra hours sleep.

2. Set an alarm to wake yourself up a little before baby would normally wake up. Wake the baby and feed him at this time. Then reset the alarm for a little before the next time baby would normally wake up and repeat. Make sure to be consistent with the times each night. The idea behind this method is that it gets baby on a set schedule of waking and eating at the same time every night. Once baby is used to this schedule you can start to slowly lengthen the amount of time between feedings. So using times from above example wake baby at 12:00, 3:00, and 6:00. After a period of time make it 12:00, 3:15, 6:30. Then 12:00, 3:30, 7:00. Etc. I never tried this myself with any of my kids but I have heard of people who do it and say it works.

Hatzlocha!

MMCH

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 9:42 am
I didnt read the other posts, and I am probably repeating other posts....
I would say that for a 3 month old, waking up every 3 hours is completely normal, for nursing or a bottle fed baby

but I would say, there are certain things you could start doing that pave the way (I think) to healthy and good sleeping habits.
1) start a bedtime routine. at the same time, every single night, do the exact same thing, like bathtime, change into pj's, nurse/bottle in a dark room, sing shema, and just keep repeating it (I am still doing it with my 4 year old)
2)try to make a differentiation btwn daytime and night time. for me it was always lights on and off. during the day feed in a light room, talk and sing, and be active with baby, and at night time, turn lights off dont talk, or just whisper.
3)and try as hard as you can, to put baby down almost asleep, and very groggy, then fully asleep. this will save you in the long run.

I have to admit, both my kids, (4 and 2) and bli ayin hara wonderful sleepers, but both of them were still feeding in the middle night past 6 months...(my 2nd was closer to a year)
so I would say dont rush the baby...

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 4:21 pm
When the kid can use a cup with his hands, leave a plastic cup with water next to his bed. He then will drink that if thirsty during the night.

Obviously that is a lot later than three months but I just thought I would mention it.

I think plastic is a lighter and doesn't break. There are non-PCB plastics if that's a concern.

When the baby sleeps, you sleep. If possible.

Rrs123

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 3:47 am
I don't think there is any secret.

My oldest is a terrible sleeper. He is almost 2 1/2 and he still does not sleep though the night.
I always wondered what I was doing wrong.

My 6 month old started sleeping though the night already. I did nothing different. I think every baby is different and has different needs.

Good luck
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics