Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Sleep Issues

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:41 am
Three year old DS still wakes in the night, usually several times. The only way he falls asleep is with a bottle of water so whenever he wakes up he needs a refill in order to help him fall asleep again. Most nights I'm running a butler service...

That usually means night after night of broken sleep which is very frustrating, and of course exhausting!Whew

What makes him wake up?!?
Any ideas how I can get him to sleep through?

chani4

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 9:07 am
He's old enough to understand. Leave him water next to his bed and let him know he can drink it and go right back to sleep. And doesn't need to wake u

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 2:59 pm
OP here. You're right, he is old enough but rather unreasonable at that time of night.
I'm still wondering why he's waking up though!?

chani4

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 4:49 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. You're right, he is old enough but rather unreasonable at that time of night.
I'm still wondering why he's waking up though!?

Maybe he's thirsty and that why the only way he falls back a sleep is with a drink

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 5:34 pm
chani4 wrote:
Maybe he's thirsty and that why the only way he falls back a sleep is with a drink

OP here. Three or four times a night?!?

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:13 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. Three or four times a night?!?

Is he drinking enough during the day? Is it very hot in his room at night?

Alternatively, does he drink like a camel during the day as well? If he drinks a lot and still seems to be always thirsty, you should check this out with your pediatrician.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:20 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Is he drinking enough during the day? Is it very hot in his room at night?

Alternatively, does he drink like a camel during the day as well? If he drinks a lot and still seems to be always thirsty, you should check this out with your pediatrician.

OP here. I've already checked it out with his paediatrician. He said there's nothing wrong.
It's a comfort thing, he drinks when he's upset, tired etc. He definitely drinks enough during the day and it doesn't seem to be room related as he's been waking since he's born. In master bedroom, baby room and now in the kids room. With the fan on, door open or door closed.

Any ideas? I'm deeeeesperate for a decent night's sleep!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:28 pm
Fill up a couple of sippy cups and explain that you'll be leaving them in his bed for when he needs. If he calls you the first night, go in and remind him that his cup is in his bed, but don't hand it to him. Eventually he should stop waking you up.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 6:30 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Fill up a couple of sippy cups and explain that you'll be leaving them in his bed for when he needs. If he calls you the first night, go in and remind him that his cup is in his bed, but don't hand it to him. Eventually he should stop waking you up.

OP here. You're right, I'll give it a try.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 20 2014, 2:32 pm
OP here.

I'm beyond exhausted. He drinks his bottles in the night but keeps wanting more and more and more ... I can't prepare them in his bed before he goes to sleep otherwise he'll drink them all before the night begins.

I can be going backwards and forwards for a whole hour in the middle of the night until he finally stays quiet, only to repeat it again in a number of hours. At wits end

Ideas please!!!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2014, 9:51 am
Bump

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:19 am
Bumping this up again. Need some sleep training advice urgently, crying it out won't work with him as he's old enough to get out of bed and come to mine, or wake the other children.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:23 am
Can you work out a reward system? Stickers and prizes.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:31 am
Iymnok wrote:
Can you work out a reward system? Stickers and prizes.

I've tried several different chart systems and promised very much wanted prizes without success. If you notice the start date of this thread you'll see we're a year later now and still struggling...At wits end He's going to be 4 in a few weeks!

He's so irrational in the middle of night that whatever we've discussed goes totally out of the window.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:39 am
Would it work to repeatedly look at him sadly and say, "I'm sorry it's hard for you to sleep". And not give him water.
I'd imagine you'd have serious tantrums or other negative reaction, but he's used to being served, and most people don't drink the whole night.
(Is he dry at night?)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 9:14 am
Iymnok wrote:
Would it work to repeatedly look at him sadly and say, "I'm sorry it's hard for you to sleep". And not give him water.
I'd imagine you'd have serious tantrums or other negative reaction, but he's used to being served, and most people don't drink the whole night.
(Is he dry at night?)

No he's not dry at night. I'm waiting for him to stop drinking so much first.

He is so irrational at night that it's like talking to a log and once the screaming starts... forget it, he wakes the whole house.

lizard8

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 9:53 am
I don't know your child, so I am just giving suggestions based on what you wrote.
What does he drink from? If its a baby bottle or a sports cap water bottle, the sucking helps calm him down. Its like a pacifier, but masked as a drink. He might be waking up at night and need something to calm him down. I don't know how old he is, but starting with a paci is probably not a good idea.
How is his overall sleeping? Does it take a while for him to fall asleep? Is he calm when he is sleeping?
If he isn't sleeping well, maybe look into a weighted blanket. Some people swear by them, while others are hesitant because the child relies on it.
If its just a habit, maybe try to replace the drink with a comfort stuffed animal or blanket. Explain to your child during the day that when he wakes up, he will get the animal instead of a drink. Start him off with it during the day and get him used to the animal replacing the bottle when he needs to calm down.
In middle of the night, sit with him while he strokes it and tries to fall back asleep. When he gets up again, show him his animal and repeat. Eventually he will get the message that the animal has to calm him. Hopefully by then you will not have to be in picture at night.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics