Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Homeschool and save the community
1  2  Next

Onisa

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:06 pm
Late Thursday night I am thinking how..
To stop teachers pedophiles
Strange tznius laws in schools
Social pressure where society says .. I wont let you to our schools
Otd problems
School tuition
Bad teachers and lacking of some material for ur child
Bulling

And most everything that is discussed on this forum.
The whole jewish religious world is threatened by schools and shiduchim and shiduchim usually based on schools.
So hear we are - homoschool!
You will educate urself and ur kids as much as u wish, in whatever maner u wish and ect. And Im sure the whole community, pressure, standards will leave ( and Moshiah will come).
Those mothers who work can send their children to succsesful mother-educators, sign them for online courses. Im sure that jewish education market will change rapidly to meet the new, true and sincere demands.

It is just crazy how people pay tons of money for ongoing touture, trying to fit in.. And ect.

Thank you for reading latenightnaieve BT post.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:15 pm
I agree!

In fact, it's kind of funny, but I was also thinking about this all day today. How I'd love to homeschool if I ever have children b'ezrat Hashem.

The benefits and advantages of homeschooling: Constructing your own curriculum. Reading interesting books. Cooperating with other parents. I can teach English and history. Someone else's parent can teach math and science. Encourage curiosity and love of learning. Each student works at their own pace. No time wasted on administrative and discipline stuff. No student feeling bored or on the contrary behind and confused. No mad rush to get dressed and out the door every morning. No abusive or incompetent teachers. No bullying. Enough time for sports and art classes.

Onisa

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:45 pm
Sequoia, however there is a problem.
Once I was speaking with a girl ( whose mother gave homebirth to six kids and sucssefully unschooled them) . She told me how everyone should homeschool only. And I disagreed because, if my mother grounded me at home and homeschooled me.oy! I would end in mental institution.
Parents who are self aware, trying to get on the best terms with kids - yes, would work, but others...
If the family highly dysfunctional or mother has control issues it all can end up a lot worse than bad experiences at school.
By now I have no good solution for this.

acemom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 10:58 pm
Back in elementary school we had a story in the "reader" about the future when kids are taught by robots and books are a thing of the past. One kid found a real book with pages...... whatever. What year was the story supposed to take place? Anyone remember such a story? Probably 2015 and we are still not up to that mode of schooling.... Oh well.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 11:00 pm
acemom wrote:
Back in elementary school we had a story in the "reader" about the future when kids are taught by robots and books are a thing of the past. One kid found a real book with pages...... whatever. What year was the story supposed to take place? Anyone remember such a story? Probably 2015 and we are still not up to that mode of schooling.... Oh well.

Isaac Azimov, "The Fun They Had"

One of my favorite stories.

Bruria

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 11:05 pm
There are so many neighborhoods who are mainly jewish, in those why not send to public school and create an outsanding Torah program after school? That would solve the tuition crisis , and all the balagan that comes with it!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 11:11 pm
Bruria wrote:
There are so many neighborhoods who are mainly jewish, in those why not send to public school and create an outsanding Torah program after school? That would solve the tuition crisis , and all the balagan that comes with it!

How long can a child sit after being in school for six hours? How much would they attend to the Torah lessons?

acemom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 11:13 pm
sequoia wrote:
Isaac Azimov, "The Fun They Had"

One of my favorite stories.

YES YES YES

Now that you reminded me of the title I googled it.... It is set in 2155.

Loved that story for some reason.

Bruria

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 11:15 pm
For sure it would be challenging, but possible, especially if everyone did it in a fun way! That way, in my utopia, our kids would get the jewish and secular education they deserve!Plus, the families would be in a better financial situation, and that would mean less stress at home, more shalom, ideally would be so cool!

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 11:34 pm
Ahem...homeschooling is not an option for households in which two parents work outside the home. Which describes more than 50% of the households in my community.

ETA: And what if a homeschooling parent's style doesn't suit the abilities of the child? What makes you think every parent is capable of teaching? Lo hakapdan melamed, among other things. And what about parents who are dysfunctional in various ways, such as socially? or with extremely narrow or otherwise extremist views? Or extremely poor social skills? Their homeschooled children have no outside influences to balance the parents' skewed instruction. One of the strengths of school is that children have a chance to mingle with others and learn that others can be different and still be ok.

Last edited by zaq on Thu, Jun 26 2014, 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bruria

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 11:39 pm
zaq wrote:
Ahem...homeschooling is not an option for households in which two parents work outside the home. Which describes more than 50% of the households in my community.
Agreed!! Also, honestly, I am in no capacity to teach my child physics or calculus , just to give an example. But imagine if everyone in the neighborhood ( supposing it's mostly jewish) in public school and then created an after school program ? That would be much more affordable, and in some cases the quality of secular studies would be better! And no more politika!

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 11:45 pm
zaq wrote:

ETA: And what if a homeschooling parent's style doesn't suit the abilities of the child? What makes you think every parent is capable of teaching? Lo hakapdan melamed, among other things. And what about parents who are dysfunctional in various ways, such as socially? or with extremely narrow or otherwise extremist views? Or extremely poor social skills? Their homeschooled children have no outside influences to balance the parents' skewed instruction. One of the strengths of school is that children have a chance to mingle with others and learn that others can be different and still be ok.

Right... as with *everything*, there are pluses and minuses. Who would ever think otherwise?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 12:00 am
Bruria wrote:
For sure it would be challenging, but possible, especially if everyone did it in a fun way! That way, in my utopia, our kids would get the jewish and secular education they deserve!Plus, the families would be in a better financial situation, and that would mean less stress at home, more shalom, ideally would be so cool!

Forcing kids to go to school after a full school day is not going to give them the Jewish education they deserve. Fun is nice, but a solid education isn't all about fun. Kids don't have stamina for such a long day (and in fact neither do most adults).

Bruria

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 12:09 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Forcing kids to go to school after a full school day is not going to give them the Jewish education they deserve. Fun is nice, but a solid education isn't all about fun. Kids don't have stamina for such a long day (and in fact neither do most adults).
What about schools that practically just teach kodesh and like 2 hours of secular per day? What kind of solid education are they getting? Can't win them all Wink

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 12:11 am
Bruria wrote:
What about schools that practically just teach kodesh and like 2 hours of secular per day? What kind of solid education are they getting? Can't win them all Wink

I don't know, that kind of school does not exist where I live.

Bruria

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 12:15 am
But, getting back to homeschooling, I think the ones who do it are so brave! It really must be super cool to create this awesome curriculum for your kids, and everyone happy around a table studying while eating cookies or learning montessori -style,no tuition issues, no morah issues, just learning through their own pace and exploring their interests sounds amazing!

mirror

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 12:16 am
http://www.room613.net/members/room613

groovy1224

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 12:16 am
Either it's really late or I'm just really immature..but I totally got distracted by the word 'homoschool' in the OP. Tee hee.

sequoia

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 12:18 am
As a tutor I see the deleterious effects of public school. It is so full of bureaucracy, so obsessed with state tests, so destructive to curiosity, self-esteem, and love of learning, that I would never recommend it.

And now with the Common Core it's truly a lost cause.

Only a very naive person could believe public school is a step up.

Homeschooling is the future, man. Create cooperatives. Set your own hours. Determine your own vacation times.

All children love to learn naturally -- just don't stifle it.

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 12:22 am
MaBelleVie wrote:

But they do have stamina to attend yeshiva from 8 a.m to 5 or 6 p.m.?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics