Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How long does brit take to heal?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 5:42 am
I just found out we're expecting a boy and now I'm nervous about the brit.

How long does it take to heal? Is the baby in a lot of pain? I know the third day is the worst but how long does it take to get better?

Also, what do you dress the baby in for the brit? I never took much notice before of what other babies were wearing (which may mean noone will notice what our baby is wearing either!) and you can't see well from the ladies gallery anyway.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 5:57 am
Your mohel will (should) explain everything to you. He should return after 2 days to remove the bandage. it takes a week or two for the scab to fall off. Right after the bris he will check how he did and show you and DH how to care for it. put anothr diaper on top for protection, and only on his back for a bit- no tummy time

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 6:14 am
I know the mohel will explain something (there are no English speaking mohelim here so I will have to rely on my DH's translation) but I want to be prepared WAY in advance. Will the baby be in pain for a long time?

Only on his back for how long approximately?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 3:27 pm
Please, can someone else tell me something?

I'm a convert and have no one I can ask about this. I want to be prepared.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 3:42 pm
I found it took about a week till it was healed enough that I wasn't nervous anymore. We were told to use a double diaper and try and keep the baby flat not leaning for 24 hours. We put neosporin on the Bris area and loosely covered it by a gauze pad for about 3 days then smeared a & d ointment on the Bris area without gauze for 3 or 4 more days. After that it was basically back to normal. I would avoid tummy time for 3 or 4 days.
One of the things my mohel warns is that a whiteish yellowish crust can form by the wound and it's normal not an infection if you try and wipe it off it will cause bleeding.
Where I live the baby wears white by the Bris and there are gemachs for the outfit.

Beyla

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 3:44 pm
Don't worry op, I finally found I was so much more in pain than my son!
Don't think too much about it, every Jewish little baby boy lives those moments and is fine bh.

I think my son was in pain when changing his diaper during the 1st days but not so much at other time, and no the 3rd day didn't seem the worst for me, it was bh better than the 1st and 2nd.

Beyla

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 3:45 pm
Oh and my baby was wearing a white pyjama! And a yarmulke.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics