Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Therapist locks door during session
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:32 am
I just took my 5 year old to his first therapy session with a psychologist. It was in her home and she had me wait outside just in case he really needed me. Dh wanted me to peek in every once in awhile but the door was locked. Is this common practice for a psychologist to lock the door like this when the mother is sitting right outside?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:36 am
I did not take my child to a psychologist. I took my child to mental health counselor. Don't know what your child is being treated for, but I was allowed to sit in at each session, but literally had to sit like a bump on a log with no facial expression or comments. therapist told me that if child was being treated for trauma I would not be in the room. I don't know if parents in the room is common practice (I suspect it is not), but I really appreciated it!

anotherima

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:36 am
ask her why she locks the door.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:39 am
OP: I assume it was probably bec she didn't want me to peek in. It still doesn't sit well with me though

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:47 am
I cannot think of any acceptable reason for locking the door. As a parent I find that very troubling; as a 5-yr-old child I'm sure I would have found it intimidating and quite frightening. I'd find a different psychologist.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:49 am
I would not go back. I would also report the psychologist. I can't imagine this is ok with anyone.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:55 am
A bit complicated bec the school asked that we take him to therapy, recommended this woman and she already evaluated him at the school.

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:57 am
Report it now!!!!!!! There is no acceptable reason the door should have been locked. If it was locked by accident she would have opened it when you tried to open the door.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
A bit complicated bec the school asked that we take him to therapy, recommended this woman and she already evaluated him at the school.

pick another therapist. letting your child see a therapist who locks the door is dangerous. do not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES go back to this woman. and REPORT HER NOW.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 9:59 am
She did open it, but it should not have been locked in the first place!

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
She did open it, but it should not have been locked in the first place!

amother, locking it in the first place is a huge red flag. do not trust this woman. just don't.

Bruria

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:22 am
No, therapists do not lock doors!!
Parents are also not suppose to peak at sessions, unless there is that glass-mirror type of thing.
I wouldn't trust her.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:23 am
What do I do now?? What do I tell the school? Do I have to find someone else to evaluate him for a second time???

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:23 am
amother wrote:

Take him to someone else and inform the school of this therapists behavior. I'm pretty sure this is illegal. Maybe a therapist can tell you for sure.

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
What do I do now?? What do I tell the school? Do I have to find someone else to evaluate him for a second time???

Tell the school. Get his paperwork from this therapist. Find someone new. If you have to get a new evaluation do it. The inconvenience and any expense is not worth your child's safety.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:25 am
I took my 6 y.o. child to a therapist who also made me wait outside. I am not sure if the door was locked, it was closed. She took her job so seriously that she would not share any information with me. If the child was a teenager with major secrets, I would understand. But this was a little kid dealing with a crisis in the family that we were all dealing with and feedback would have been beneficial. We left her.
If you do not feel comfortable with anything the therapist is doing, speak up.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:26 am
Oh gosh, dh was not on board with this in the first place. He's going to throw a fit!

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
Oh gosh, dh was not on board with this in the first place. He's going to throw a fit!

He didn't throw a fit when a stranger locked herself in a room with your child?

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:29 am
Bruria wrote:
No, therapists do not lock doors!!
Parents are also not suppose to peak at sessions, unless there is that glass-mirror type of thing.

I don't agree with this. Some children, particularly small children, might need the reassurance of their parents in a therapy situation. At that age, parents should know every detail of what is going on in therapy and should be given the option to peak in and check on their child.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:30 am
The other way around. He didn't like the idea of therapy in the first place and only agreed to go once the school made an issue of it!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics