Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Therapist locks door during session
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:33 am
amother wrote:
The other way around. He didn't like the idea of therapy in the first place and only agreed to go once the school made an issue of it!

Ok so the schools opinion hasn't changed. The therapist isn't working you find someone new.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:34 am
I think you should ask her why she locked the door before going crazy.

it could be she just has an automatic habit to lock a closed door and she forgot. simple mistake....

before deciding she is an evil child predator just simply ask and say you are not comfortable with it. then keep checking up every few minutes.

if you feel very uncomfortable then switch therapists. that is your right.

this jumping to conclusions thing is just a knee jerk reaction to weberman.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:36 am
Absolutely not OK. They should leave the door open a little, not fully closed, and depending on the situation you can either be right there or waiting in a room a little further away to give them more privacy. But never behind a locked door.

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:37 am
causemommysaid wrote:

it could be she just has an automatic habit to lock a closed door and she forgot. simple mistake....

before deciding she is an evil child predator just simply ask and say you are not comfortable with it. then keep checking up every few minutes.

No, this jumping to conclusion thing is because of way too many stories that started like this one that turned out tragic. I'm not saying that this therapist did/will do anything to a child, I just wouldn't trust her.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:39 am
causemommysaid wrote:

automatic habit aside, she shouldn't have a lock on the door to the office used for therapy. any patient who needs to be locked in (violence?) would likely not be seen in a home office. she has no excuse for the lock on the door. the automatic habit is normal, the lock on the door is not.

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:40 am
I don't think she's a child predator; I think she is unprofessional and doesn't understand her role in working WITH parents to help their child. She overstepped her bounds and once is enough for me to suggest moving on.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:41 am
it was a lock to her house I was sitting outside the house

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:42 am
amother wrote:

This is getting worse and worse. Not. Okay. Move. On.

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:43 am
I'm wondering now, did the therapist know you would be staying? Or did she think you left and would come back at the end of the session?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:47 am
OP: she told me to stick around in case he really needed me

5*Mom

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
OP: she told me to stick around in case he really needed me

She told you to stick around OUTSIDE her house, and then locked the door? Too weird.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:51 am
OP, is this therapist young and perhaps inexperienced?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:51 am
She locked you out of her house?!? Omg. No no no. I'm not saying she has malicious intentions but she is being incredibly reckless, stupid, irresponsible, unprofessional. You should let her know why you will not be returning. And don't let her convince you to continue, because she'll let you stay in the house. Even in that case she would still be the same irresponsible person.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:52 am
I repeat. never go back. report the woman. move on.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:54 am
what about the school??? they have used her a bunch in the past.

Rrs123

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:57 am
Why don't you simply ask her why she does it?
Then tell her that you will feel more comfortable with the door open.

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:57 am
amother wrote:

I'm sorry WHAT???????????????????????????????????????
You let your child enter someones home and she locked the door and you were ok with that??????? NO NO NO NO NO NO! Do not go back to this woman ever! Tell her and the school exactly why. The school should never be advising anyone to use her again!

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 11:00 am
Rrs123 wrote:
Why don't you simply ask her why she does it?
Then tell her that you will feel more comfortable with the door open.

because it is frankly stupid to trust someone who would act with such obvious lack of common sense. telling her what common sense dictates does not mean that she will act responsibly in other ways in the future.

princessleah

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 11:07 am
Psychologist here. I have a few questions:

1) What degree/training does this therapist have? What license? You are in the US?

2) Does she have a designated treatment room within her house? Where was the session being held?

3) What evaluations did she do with your child? Neuropsych? Testing? Just a regular intake? If there was testing done there should be a copy of the report in your child's file in school which they can give to the next therapist.

4) She should have NOT locked the door. You should have been able to 'stick around' in a designated waiting area. Does she have one?

5) To one of the imas above who wrote about a therapist taking her job so seriously she would not talk to you about your child's progress. This is not taking the job seriously. There are NO CONFIDENTIALITY laws for minors. With an older teen, therapist, parents and child may want to come to an agreement together about what will be shared and what will be kept between therapist and client. But for a younger child, therapist should be having regular meetings with the parents about the progress and future goals.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 11:18 am
princessleah wrote:
Psychologist here. I have a few questions:

5) To one of the imas above who wrote about a therapist taking her job so seriously she would not talk to you about your child's progress. This is not taking the job seriously. There are NO CONFIDENTIALITY laws for minors. With an older teen, therapist, parents and child may want to come to an agreement together about what will be shared and what will be kept between therapist and client. But for a younger child, therapist should be having regular meetings with the parents about the progress and future goals.

Thank you for the validation. I agree. That's why we left. I believe it came from inexperience. That's why I asked OP for the age/years of experience of her therapist.
Should I have reported my experience to the organization that recommends her?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics