Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
RIT color remover disaster -- any hope?

goodmorning

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 11:21 am
I tried using RIT color remover to lighten two off-white shells that had turned dingy due to being accidentally washed with dark colors. I figured that it might turn them white, which would have been fine. Instead, it turned them an awful pinkish/peachish shade. I tried soaking them in oxyclean and bleach and it did not lighten them at all.

Is there anything else that I can try?

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 3:22 pm
That's pretty much it. The RIT may have removed the dye that made them off-white and what you see is the original color of the "grey goods", which is what textiles are called before they are dyed. You can try dyeing them back, though synthetics don't take home dyes very well. I personally have not had good luck trying to dye clothes--neither by hand nor in the machine. It always comes out blotchy and never the color I expected.

Chalk it up to experience and use these shells as an extra layer under clothes in winter when you want the warmth, or wear them as pjs.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 29 2014, 3:53 pm
Bleach
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry