Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Would you pull out your child

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 10:25 am
My son attended a preschool this past year which had separate classes for "older twos" and "younger twos". My son turned three in may. BH he had a great year so I decided to keep him in the same place for camp. Today I took him to camp for day one and was surprised to see a bunch of kids who seemed quiteb younger and more "babyish". One parent explained that the younger twos didnt have enough kids so they combined the groups. I was a bit taken aback that I wasnt informed but also really want my son moving forward rather than regressing. He is bH a smart boy and want him to be stimulated and fear that the morahs will be too involved taking care of the "babies" to provide that. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? I have to ask but the ratio seemed to be more half and half eith younger and older kids. I could potentially switch him to an entirely new program. What are your thoughts?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 10:27 am
I wouldn't consider it an issue unless the camp was understaffed.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 10:28 am
I wouldn't think it's a big deal for daycamp, which is by nature less structured, more chilled, etc....though if most of the kids are significantly younger than my child maybe I would. If it's just a more mixed group in terms of the age - no big deal.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 10:31 am
Is there a reason you think he'd regress? My son has mild speech delays and would definitely regress in such a situation. Whenever he spends time with younger kids (like cousins, sibling), he goes back to old speech patterns, and when he's back with the kids his age, he goes back to talking (mostly) normally. So for him, this would be a deal breaker. But for the average kid, I don't think it would matter so much.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 10:31 am
No big deal. It may help him develop some leadership skills in his role as an "older."

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:14 pm
I have a child going into kindergarten and one going into nursery (younger 3's). They are in the same day camp, also supposedly separate groups, but I see that the groups are on the same schedule and tend to do a lot of things together. I like this actually.
I don't think that kids regress because of the presence of younger children. And as long as there are enough staff members to properly take care of all the kids, I really wouldn't worry about this.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:28 pm
this always happens in daycamps. so not a big deal. he will be fine.

MMCH

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:32 pm
I would keep him.
camp as it is, is more chilled, not as much structure, and I doubt that your child will regress.

it might be to his benefit to be with younger kids, maybe he'll assume leadership positions, which is a wonderful confidence booster.

also, its relatively short, so I wouldn't worry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers