Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this ethical?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 11:29 am
I bought a blouse in a department store. I knew that it was a little too big on me when I tried it on in the store but didn't think it was terrible. Well, when I wore it the next day, about 12 hours, it was swimming on me! It was so huuuge and uncomfortable. It's not worth it to have it tailored. Is it ethical to ask in the store if I can exchange it for a smaller size? Is this gezel, being that I already wore it and got benefit from it? I normally go to my Rav with shailos but am too embarrassed to ask this time. Should I just take it up as just (another) loss?

Sherri

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 11:32 am
Tell them you wore it and ask them what the policy is. And then follow that policy.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
I bought a blouse in a department store. I knew that it was a little too big on me when I tried it on in the store but didn't think it was terrible. Well, when I wore it the next day, about 12 hours, it was swimming on me! It was so huuuge and uncomfortable. It's not worth it to have it tailored. Is it ethical to ask in the store if I can exchange it for a smaller size? Is this gezel, being that I already wore it and got benefit from it? I normally go to my Rav with shailos but am too embarrassed to ask this time. Should I just take it up as just (another) loss?

Well, imagine this. Next time you go to a store, they say, "we have this lovely blouse. But just so you know, someone wore it for about 12 hours. Got her sweat and skin cells on it. Ate a few meals, maybe dropped something on it, we don't know. And we're now willing to sell it to you for full price, no discount." Do you say, "great! I'll take it!" or "Hold on. That's a used shirt. I don't want it, or if I take it, I want a discount."

Unless its the former, its unethical to return the shirt.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 11:50 am
Barbara wrote:
Well, imagine this. Next time you go to a store, they say, "we have this lovely blouse. But just so you know, someone wore it for about 12 hours. Got her sweat and skin cells on it. Ate a few meals, maybe dropped something on it, we don't know. And we're now willing to sell it to you for full price, no discount." Do you say, "great! I'll take it!" or "Hold on. That's a used shirt. I don't want it, or if I take it, I want a discount."

I disagree. It would be unethical to return it without telling them it was worn, but many stores have generous return policies and may in fact accept a worn item for a full or partial refund or exchange. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask, as long as she provides complete and truthful information.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 11:57 am
5*Mom wrote:
I disagree. It would be unethical to return it without telling them it was worn, but many stores have generous return policies and may in fact accept a worn item for a full or partial refund or exchange. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask, as long as she provides complete and truthful information.

We'll agree to disagree.

If the item proved to be defective after a wearing, I agree it may be returned. If it faded or pilled or tore in a manner that should not be expected, I agree. But no matter what the store's policy, I don't think its ethical to return an item in something other than new condition because the purchaser made a mistake, or changed her mind.

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:03 pm
Barbara wrote:

I would never assume that an item I purchased was not possibly bought, tried, and returned.... I always wash items before I wear them, because at the very least, it was tried on by 40 women before me in a hot sweaty dressing room. I don't see it as a big deal if the item is in perfect condition.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:08 pm
Barbara wrote:
We'll agree to disagree.

If the item proved to be defective after a wearing, I agree it may be returned. If it faded or pilled or tore in a manner that should not be expected, I agree. But no matter what the store's policy, I don't think its ethical to return an item in something other than new condition because the purchaser made a mistake, or changed her mind.

the only way it can be unethical is if she is not truthful and tries to get around their return policy.

otherwise she is just following the rules of the store.

besides there are many things listed in clearance and labeled "as is" for this very reason. people return it and it gets put back on the rack as a discounted item.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:13 pm
Barbara, I would tend to agree with you
However , is this your own thoughts or do you Halachic sources to back it up

itssimplyme

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:15 pm
if you have not taken the label off

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:45 pm
Barbara wrote:
But no matter what the store's policy...

Stores that have this policy do so because their market research has shown this to make good business sense, as it increases customer satisfaction and repeat business. They actually make more money with a generous return policy than without, otherwise they wouldn't have the policy. I can hear why you'd be uncomfortable with this, but it's a far cry from unethical if the store itself says, "with pleasure."

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:11 pm
Barbara wrote:

Many stores have a specific return policy for worn merchandise. They don't just put it back on the shelves...I don't know what they do with it but I'm assuming they either dispose of it, donate, or process it on some way to prepare it for resale. If the OP is honest about having worn it,I see no ethical issue.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:13 pm
Barbara wrote:
We'll agree to disagree.

If every woman had to agree to be 1000% sure of each item she purchased before leaving the store, I'm pretty sure sales would drop dramatically. People are allowed to have buyer's remorse on a sweater.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:02 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
If every woman had to agree to be 1000% sure of each item she purchased before leaving the store, I'm pretty sure sales would drop dramatically. People are allowed to have buyer's remorse on a sweater.

Of course. They can take it home. Try it on. Model it. Think about it.

But once you wear it for 12 hours, its yours.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:03 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Barbara, I would tend to agree with you
However , is this your own thoughts or do you Halachic sources to back it up

I think I'd need halachic sources to say its ethical to return a used item.

To say that once you use it, its yours? I don't need halachic sources for that.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:11 pm
Well, if you are upfront, here in Israel I doubt any store would take it back. And I'm glad about that.

freidasima

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:15 pm
Land's end has a return policy like that, even after months of wear.

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:22 pm
If it wasn't that expensive, then gift it to a larger neighbor/friend, put it on consignment, etc. This way, someone with less funds will get good use out of it. Smile

self-actualization

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 3:38 pm
Every return shipping label has asked me to check a box why I am returning the item. Many, many times I have checked the box - "Not my taste", "Not my style", "Not my size" ... I can't remember offhand but I must have worn the items in some of the cases, and taken off the tags in some cases. The bigger stores and department stores (Macys included) really don't care and they want their customers to be happy.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:15 pm
freidasima wrote:
Land's end has a return policy like that, even after months of wear.

Yup, it does. We called them and asked them once because I couldn't believe it when someone told me. The representative said that even if it is 5 years later and the item has been worn, washed multiple times, stained, or torn, they will take it back. I've never actually tried it, but I assume she was telling the truth.

In such a case I truly don't see any ethical problem with doing this. I assume they have this policy because the amount they lose from the people who actually go through the trouble of returning the items (you do have to pay your own shipping, but you can bring it in to any Sears store for free) is less than they gain by the publicity/shtick of such a policy.

Barbara, I don't understand why you think it is so obvious "To say that once you use it, its yours" even if that is not the company policy. Of course any dishonesty would be unethical. But if the company says that they accept returns no matter what, they clearly do not agree that "once you use it, it's yours" -- and since purchasing something is essentially an agreement between the seller and purchaser, they certainly can set the parameters as to what defines a purchase. (Do you feel that renting a gown or tux is unethical, because "once you use it, it is yours"? I assume not. The point is that if the agreement up front allows for returns of used items, it is not any less ethical then a rental, imho.)

BTW, Walmart used to have a similar type of policy within 90 days, but they stopped it, I assume because they decided they were losing money on it.

Costco also has a lifetime return policy no questions asked, but I'm not sure it is on all their departments. (We once bought a GPS there that broke after a year and a half and we went back and they had no problem with us returning it.)

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 7:41 pm
Nordstroms is the gold standard of customer service, and I model my jewelry company after them.

As long as you are honest, it is up to the store to decide how they feel about the exchange. Marketing research has proven over and over again that when you accept a return, you get repeat business and increased sales.

For example, I once was contacted by a customer who's necklace had broken almost a year after she bought it. She told me that it was her favorite, and that she wore it every single day - so yeah, heavy wear! Sure, I could have said "Hey, you wore that necklace to death, and were probably careless with it. Not my problem, it's past 30 days." but how would that have helped me in the long run?

I gladly took it back, restrung it, and replaced the missing beads that had scattered when the strand broke. I even upgraded the stringing wire and clasp, to make it stronger than before. She was so thrilled, she ended up buying 10 pairs of earrings for her friends for x-mas, and made sure that they all knew where she bought them from. You can't BUY that kind of advertising!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics