Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I'm a MO man and in a dire state. Can you help me?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
I'm MO and my wife is chronically ill. I had to leave me job to take care of her and the kids. My landlord is threatening me with eviction and our pantry is bare.

Are there any organizations that can help me? Please don't mention any chareidi chessed programs because they are all crooks and frauds and I don't want to accept tainted assistance.

Most MO shuls sponsor Tomchei Shabbat. Don't let the name fool you. Its not Charedi. The Tomchei Shabbat that my BIL receives is from a strictly MO shul.

MO shuls also have fundraisers and discretionary funds for people in need.

If you're in NYC, contact Project ORE and the Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services.

You see, most MO don't feel the need to establish strictly MO charities. Some donate to Charedi charities. Others to more general funds.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
In Bergen county project Ezra. We also have tomchei shabbos and my young Israel sisterhood is constantly organizing meals for families in need, plus rabbis discretionary fund.

Plus if you are stereotyping most mo families have insurance and houses if they have several kids and thus would usually not be in that scenario.

My insurance is about to lapse because I'm self employed and haven't worked in 6 months due to my wife's illness. We don't own a house yet because so far we only have two young kids, although we were looking into buying when we were doing well.

And you're right, most MO don't get into this kind of scenario. That's why I don't have whom to ask other than imamothers through my wife's account.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:

Plus if you are stereotyping most mo families have insurance and houses if they have several kids and thus would usually not be in that scenario.

How does insurance and multiple homes help? Insurance pays the medical bills but doesn't cook food, clean the house, carpool or take care of kids between school and camp or sit with a wife in the hospital between treatments.

I've seen illness rob families of every penny they had and then some regardless of where they started.

amother

amother wrote:
My insurance is about to lapse because I'm self employed and haven't worked in 6 months due to my wife's illness. We don't own a house yet because so far we only have two young kids, although we were looking into buying when we were doing well.

And you're right, most MO don't get into this kind of scenario. That's why I don't have whom to ask other than imamothers through my wife's account.

That's what project Ezra is for they help unemployed find jobs. The sisterhood would get you help with meals and around house. Your friends and parents would help too.

amother

Barbara wrote:
Most MO shuls sponsor Tomchei Shabbat. Don't let the name fool you. Its not Charedi. The Tomchei Shabbat that my BIL receives is from a strictly MO shul.

MO shuls also have fundraisers and discretionary funds for people in need.

If you're in NYC, contact Project ORE and the Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services.

You see, most MO don't feel the need to establish strictly MO charities. Some donate to Charedi charities. Others to more general funds.

Thank you for all those names. You've only mentioned financial aid, what about domestic help, meals and help with the kids?

marina

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:42 pm
Pay attention, ok?

I explained this in the other thread (FIRST PAGE), but let's try it again.

There was a thread discussing whether footsteps handprints is an evil group designed to make everyone OTD or if it actually has some useful purpose. Many people insisted that it has no useful purpose and there are MANY organizations for chareidi bochurim from KJ and Willi and NS who may want to adopt a more modern lifestyle and go to college.

Then the thread was locked.

I wanted to find out more about these MANY organizations, so I started that thread. I created a character - based tightly on real people - and asked for names and numbers of these MANY organizations. In the end I have one or two organizations.

People got offended because 1) they can't read and 2) because the mods lock everything remotely interesting and then no one understands what other spin-off threads are about.

In light of all this- your thread OP, makes no sense. No one said, anywhere, that there are TONS of MO organizations for MO people who are in dire states. So you are arguing against nothing. Enjoy.

Last edited by marina on Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:07 pm; edited 9 times in total

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
I checked their website. No mention of any chessed organization that can assist me or my family. We aren't looking for an education now when my wife is so ill. We need money, meals, cleaning help, medical referral assistance, aid with insurance and more.

Try the welfare dept in new york. Food stamps, wic, medicaid, help with evictions, heating bills, disability benefits, etc.
Cojo of flatbush could help.
Contact the Hillel at Brooklyn College to see if they can assist you as well.
Just out of curiosity, why cant you work and get a nurse to take care of your wife as well as a nanny for your kids?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
That's what project Ezra is for they help unemployed find jobs. The sisterhood would get you help with meals and around house. Your friends and parents would help too.

I'm not looking for a job right now, I need to take care of my wife. I have a couple of masters under my belt, but degrees don't feed families or cook food.

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
I checked their website. No mention of any chessed organization that can assist me or my family. We aren't looking for an education now when my wife is so ill. We need money, meals, cleaning help, medical referral assistance, aid with insurance and more.

You can call chai lifeline, as far as I know it's run by mo even if there are many chareidim who work for it. Also my mo father in law has a money gemach.

amother

amother wrote:
Try the welfare dept in new york. Food stamps, wic, medicaid, help with evictions, heating bills, disability benefits, etc.
Just out of curiosity, why cant you work and get a nurse to take care of your wife as well as a nanny for your kids?
Money. And I still need to take my wife to appointments.

amother

amother wrote:

This.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:45 pm
Heyaaa wrote:
You can call chai lifeline, as far as I know it's run by mo even if there are many chareidim who work for it. Also my mo father in law has a money gemach.

Chai lifeline is MO?

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for all those names. You've only mentioned financial aid, what about domestic help, meals and help with the kids?

The organizations I mentioned provide all of those things. Sorry to disappoint you.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:47 pm
Sharsheret is an mo org that helps women with Breast cancer. The met council helps with money and food for poor.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
Money. And I still need to take my wife to appointments.

You seem to be making excuses. You have the means to get a job, get one. Hire a nurse to take care of your wife. There are car services to take her to her appointments, her nurse can take her.

You cant compare yourself with someone who is not educated and has no way of having a good career. May you never know the embarrassment of having to rely on chesed programs for survival.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:50 pm
marina wrote:
Pay attention, ok?

I explained this in the other thread, but let's try it again.

There was a thread discussing whether footsteps is an evil group designed to make everyone OTD or if it actually has some useful purpose. Many people insisted that it has no useful purpose and there are MANY organizations for chareidi bochurim from KJ and Willi and NS who may want to adopt a more modern lifestyle and go to college.

Then the thread was locked.

I wanted to find out more about these MANY organizations, so I started that thread. I created a character - based tightly on real people - and asked for names and numbers of these MANY organizations. In the end I have one or two organizations.

People got offended because 1) they can't read and 2) because the mods lock everything remotely interesteting and then no one understands what other spin-off threads are about.

In light of all this- your thread OP, makes no sense. No one said, anywhere, that there are TONS of organizations for MO people who are in dire straits. So you are arguing against nothing. Enjoy.

Actually, you were given the name of a great organization B'derech. You haven't called them to inquire what they offer, only dismissed them based on their website. Interesting, because when a poster suggested walking into B&H for yiddishe computer assistance, you replied you don't own a computer. Then how would your fictional character have access to the B'derech website and even understand what the not-simple-english vernacular website writes? I was confused. Too bad the thread was locked and couldn't clarify.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, you were given the name of a great organization B'derech. You haven't called them to inquire what they offer, only dismissed them based on their website. Interesting, because when a poster suggested walking into B&H for yiddishe computer assistance, you replied you don't own a computer. Then how would your fictional character have access to the B'derech website and even understand what the not-simple-english vernacular website writes? I was confused. Too bad the thread was locked and couldn't clarify.

You've also been given a nice list of mo organizations that you are ignoring so pot meet kettle?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
You seem to be making excuses.

This is what the other thread was all about. Every offer was countered with excuses.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
You've also been given a nice list of mo organizations that you are ignoring so pot meet kettle?
I was playing the other thread. Wondering the double standard.

marina

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:

1. I am showing you how a chareidi bachur from KJ would react, not knowing anything about B'derech. The other organization, the agudah one- at least even if I'd never heard of it but someone pointed me to it, I would see that their website is somewhat relevant- it talks about jobs! It looks like it might be for me!

B'derech, in contrast, HAS NOTHING RELEVANT ON ITS WEBSITE. Why on earth would I call a woman who runs an organization that has nothing relevant for me that I can see on its site? Really, would you do that? You would do that only if your friend recommended B'derech. But I'm a chareidi bachur and I don't have any friends who have ever done this and all my friends think I'm nuts.

2. My character doesn't have a computer to download yiddish on to (what would be the point anyway?) but I can maybe access one in the library.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics