Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Non-new-yorky community in NY - possible?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:50 pm
We've been living OOT for the past almost 10 years. For a number of reasons we are thinking of possibly moving somewhere closer to large Jewish community. I love the OOT feel - lower level of gashmius, less competition etc. Are there communities like that in the NY area? or is that the flip side of living in a large jewish community that can't be avoided?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:54 pm
I have a friend in Pelham Parkway who says it's like that there.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:57 pm
I don't know where you are on the age and religious spectrum, but there are definitely options to look into. Staten Island would be one. Also, several options in NJ - Elizabeth, Passaic, Highland Park. Or Baltimore, which is farther away, but would give you the large city amenities but with the OOT feel that you like.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:58 pm
Most larger jewish communities will end up having a bit more pull towards gashmius than a smaller community will. Passaic is nice though and close to ny with easy access by public transportation. Washington heights is much smaller and kind of pricey but you def get the community feel with no gashmius standards.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:07 pm
(OP)
Thanks everyone!

doctorima wrote:
I don't know where you are on the age and religious spectrum, but there are definitely options to look into. Staten Island would be one. Also, several options in NJ - Elizabeth, Passaic, Highland Park. Or Baltimore, which is farther away, but would give you the large city amenities but with the OOT feel that you like.

We are in our early 30s and somewhere between yeshivish and right wing MO.

Davida

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:10 pm
If you can afford in queens, the community is definitely low key and not new yorky...

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:35 pm
y'know there are new yorky people that aren't all that into gashmius or competition and likely not that etcetera-y, if you would have elaborated on what that meant.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:12 pm
Look into New Hyde Park/ Floral Pk.
Theres A Young Israel with all types of down to Earth people.
yinhp.org
Gl! Wink

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:13 pm
Why don't you consider Brookline/Brighton in MA, right outside of Boston? Strong Jewish community, not judgmental, and tons of people your age.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:14 pm
Also, Pelham Parkway is offering money to young couples to move there, and it's a lovely Young Israel and professional crowd (mostly Einstein Medical School people)

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
yinhp.org
Gl! Wink

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the original post! Though I'd definitely call new hyde park modern orthodox not yeshivish. But it's definitely very welcoming and down to earth!

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:38 pm
Based on your age and religious description, I'd strongly advise you to look into Passaic / Clifton.

SplitPea

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 3:58 pm
Bayswater, NY might also be a place to look into. It's not as awesome as OOT but def has that small community OOT feel with all the amenities of living in NY (amazing schools, shoping, etc) that you might not have in some of the smaller areas.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:08 pm
Staten island

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 9:38 pm
The Lower East Side has all types. It's a great, close knit community.

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
yinhp.org
Gl! Wink

How frum is "Floral Park" these days? Are there frum babysitters walking distance?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:39 pm
I live on Staten island, so easy and out of town
Rjj Is an amazing school, very low pressure

But . ..houses r very small, old and sooo expensive

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:45 pm
Queens, mill basin and marine park in brooklyn, staten island or some parts of the 5 towns and west hempstead

NJ has more options with the best of both worlds

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:47 pm
Hear me out: Boro park.
Everyone is to poor to move and to tired and overworked to care what other ppl are doing. Ppl are so nice. Chesed is incredible. School choices exist. Special needs services are phenomenal

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 9:09 pm
amother Stone wrote:
Hear me out: Boro park.
Everyone is to poor to move and to tired and overworked to care what other ppl are doing. Ppl are so nice. Chesed is incredible. School choices exist. Special needs services are phenomenal

I agree but only if op is chassidish...
I don't think non chassidish will be happy there
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating