Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Charedi women- tell me something great about MO
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 10:34 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
As a Chareidi woman, I am insanely jealous of my MO friends who can walk into a store and buy any dress on the rack.

I have to pass up any dress that doesn't cover my knees - or find a creative way to extend it/fill it in - whereas my MO friends don't have to worry about this.

I am also crazy jealous of my MO friends who don't have to worry about wearing long-sleeve shells in the hot summer under a short-sleeved T-shirt.

I really admire my xtian friends who can eat any treif slop in the supermarket.

I have to pass up food without a hecsher, whereas my xtian friends don't have to worry about this.

I'm crazy-jealous of them.

What? That's not a compliment?

freidasima

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 10:59 pm
That was me liking you Dr. Mom.
Yeah I'm MO and I have trouble finding tznius clothing so I sew most of my own.
I don't have trouble finding hechshers though because here in EY I have no trouble eating regular rabbanut hechsher and while abroad OU abounds as does Chof K and a few other hechsherim that I know. My kids like to make fun of me that I also have no problems with OR (registered trademark) because I read it as if it were "rabbinical organization of america" (but only for things like toilet paper and plastic bags!)

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 12:39 am
DrMom wrote:

I have to pass up food without a hecsher, whereas my xtian friends don't have to worry about this.

yeah I am sure they didnt put too much thought into that.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 12:43 am
(FS - OR is Orthodox Rabbis Wink )

About the clothes - MO women also dress Tzanua and have a hard time shopping and wear layers of clothes to cover all the places that regular clothes don't cover but we don't have "Tznius Police" checking up on us, MO women learn Halachot and set their own standards based on their own understanding. Most MO women aren't exactly like their parents (they're more or less). They choose where they stand. The chinuch from home has a strong influence but then we don't do just cause that's what we're told

myself

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 12:46 am
Though their standards are very different from my own, I respect their sincerity and pride in being a Jew. The one's I've met are deeply committed and very honest.

I personally think these threads are great, besides for the pessimistic posts. When people post positive things about another sect they are encouraging unity.

yeeway

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 1:25 am
The MO women I know are:

-Very passionate about Judiasm, tefilla, eretz Yisroel, and helping other Jews
- Respectful to every human being

I may be what you call Chareidi (I hate the titles) but I think MO people are really special. We're all here to serve Hashem. No one is better or worse because they may be chareidi or MO.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:38 am
I like how many (most?) M.O schools give a really a great torah education to girls as well as boys. I think that is very important nowadays.

Also, I know so many M.O people who are really sincere and frum and tznius. (whether or not they wear trousers or short sleeves)

I would be jealous of being able to buy CS ice cream and chocolate if I wasn't on a diet and had to restrict those things anyway. LOL

Its important that there is a place in yiddishkiet for everyone.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:51 am
DrMom wrote:

I'm also going to quote.
Because liking this is just not enough.

(I'd add that I too wear layers of clothing and have to worry about covering this or that place and have trouble finding modest attire in regular shops - but that really doesn't matter - the point of this thread is to point out what you think other people are doing right, not how you wish you could do wrong like they do - unless you think you're the one in the wrong)

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 4:14 am
My MO friends are dedicated yidden. They stand for what they believe in. Their kesher to Hashem is really strong. They daven with such fervor and passion. If they take something upon themselves, they will follow through. They are nice and helpful to others.

Roots

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 5:19 am
well , I love the mitpachot they wear here in israel
I love the fact they they are very very right wing and love the state of israel
I love the fact they they are brave and live in the yishuvim and hitnachaluyot very close to the arabs

I personally think this is a great discussion here on the forum especially at this time. we all feel so be'achdut, let it continue

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 5:56 am
Obviously everything on this thread is going to be generalizations, because the way the question of asked, but I think MO succeeds in many areas where we fail:

1. Excellence in both Jewish and secular education (which, in turn, sets up their children for success whichever direction they choose to go)

2. Dating.

3. Tznius. Obviously it depends on the individual, but the "slutty tznius" (ie. not tznius at all) I see in many frum communities is a far cry from t-shirts and pants or looser skirts my MO friends typically wear.

4. A sustainable community. This is an offshoot of the education. The schooling leads to college options and employment etc. Many chareidi communities are on the verge of implosion (if they havn't already) bc no one has real jobs.

5. A better understanding of the secular and non-Jewish world, and more equipped to interact with all kinds of different people.

To me these are all highly admirable elements of the MO community, and we would do well to emulate them.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 6:15 am
I know both M.O and chariedi people who dress provocatively. I think there is a wide spectrum in both communities. eg the flatbush type who goes to college and wears long sheitals and tight clothes but still considers herself chareidi/ultra orthodox is very very different from the woman in williamsburg with 11 kids who speaks yiddish.

Likewise the Ramaz graduate and a chardal type living on a yishuv will probably have little in common.

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 7:24 am
I didnt read all the way down so I might be off...
personaly -and I'm chasidish- I love the MO people for their emeskeit. they are not cookie cutter types. when they undertake something ( speaking re spiritual aspect now) they mean it!
theres a lot of dept to the MO people I know.
( again- ithink we are describing personalities more vs affilition...)

eschaya

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 7:28 am
Willingness to confront problems in our communities, even when it is uncomfortable. And then willing to fight to enact very necessary change.

Oftentimes, intellectually driven as opposed to materialistically driven.

Emes! Yashrus!

(I'm not chareidi but neither am I MO... so I get to post on both threads!)

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 8:13 am
A lot of these feel like backhanded compliments...not sure if this thread is serving it's purpose.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 8:36 am
I like the way the MO women can keep a parallel thread totally on track. My hat's off to y'all. Figuratively, of course ;-)

lili

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 10:38 am
I like how MO (whoever I know) maintain their individuality and uniqueness.
and they seem much less pressurized to 'fit in' with 'everyone'.

freidasima

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 10:44 am
Raisin I have relatives whose kids are Ramaz Graduates and went straight to Chardal yishuvim where they learned in Yeshiva for a year or two in EY and got on fine. The issue is politics not religion. As long as these boys were right wing, and they were, they got on just fine with the chardal boys their own age.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 4:42 pm
I am somewhere between the two groups.
When I was single, it was easier to go to an MO friend for a Shabbos meal. If my friend left the table (nursing, serving etc), I could have a polite conversation with the husband without feeling like there was a breech of tznius.
YES- I do understand the chareidi standard is there for a reason. I'm just relaying an aspect of MO lifestyle that I admire.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 6:17 pm
I grew up MO. I miss being MO.

I like the dovening better. I miss singing at the Shabbos table. I miss the kiddushes at the shuls.

There are more clothing choices when you don't have to hide your collarbone. I miss Godiva, Dunkin Donuts, and Starbucks. I regret my children won't go to a decent school and that I must supplement their education privately.

There are more recreational choices. No one is shocked when I did things a normal secular person would do.

No one is trying to control what you read or what music you listen to. No one tells you the radio is bad and public libraries are forbidden. I could express my thoughts freely when I was MO. I could even find like minded individuals IRL.

I would prefer to live in a community where people pay their taxes and the whole community isn't on Medicaid and their homes are not titled other people's names to collect section 8. MO communities teach civic responsibility and that fraud is bad.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics