Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Charedi women- tell me something great about MO
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Pita

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
Thank you for sharing this with me. I just looked at the site you mentioned. I hadn't thought about doing this before, I don't see why not. My husband is open minded and supportive of any intellectual pursuits I have. He would order books for me.

Like the other posters I love when I have an opportunity to go to a YI. I feel at home. Part of it is I am comfortable and part of it is that women are seen and heard. My Shul doesn't have a ladies section for Shabbos. I miss being part of a Shul.

I am not Charedi, but want to make sure I understand: some Charedi shuls have no women's section at all? How common is this?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 8:53 am
Pita wrote:
I am not Charedi, but want to make sure I understand: some Charedi shuls have no women's section at all? How common is this?

Generally chassidish, where the culture is for women not to attend shul. There are no shuls in my entire city without a women's section, and there are many shuls.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:20 am
Pita wrote:

It is very common. There was no place for me at my son's Bar Mitzvah.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:45 am
It is not very common. I have only heard of it in some gerrer shuls.

Pita

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
It is very common. There was no place for me at my son's Bar Mitzvah.

How did you feel about that?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:00 am
Raisin wrote:
I know both M.O and chariedi people who dress provocatively. I think there is a wide spectrum in both communities. eg the flatbush type who goes to college and wears long sheitals and tight clothes but still considers herself chareidi/ultra orthodox is very very different from the woman in williamsburg with 11 kids who speaks yiddish.

Likewise the Ramaz graduate and a chardal type living on a yishuv will probably have little in common.

Maybe a little off topic, but the Flatbush women you describe are not charedi, and they don't consider themselves charedi.

Pita

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:12 am
What is "Gerrer"?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:26 am
Pita wrote:
What is "Gerrer"?

Chasidus. Gur, in E"Y. Ger, in Brooklyn and elsewhere.

BTW I have heard that some yekkes also hold that women can sing in a group.

I love to sing, and I always sang zemiros with my father and brothers and sisters, but had to refrain when my BIL's were present.

As a married woman, my more-yeshivish DH holds that I can sing non-pesukim (as another poster stated). So I sing Shalom Aleichem but not Aishes Chayil......also, I can only sing two weeks out of the month...and only if we don't have male guests.

Now I know that was OT to this thread.

I don't know many MO women IRL, but those that I do have such warmth and open homes. I admire their Ahavas Yisrael and their Hachnasas Orchim. Their genuine friendliness and caring, and the Derech Eretz they model and teach.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
It is not very common. I have only heard of it in some gerrer shuls.

It is very common where I live. It is very common when I go away for Shabbos. We are obviously not in the same circles.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
It is very common where I live. It is very common when I go away for Shabbos. We are obviously not in the same circles.

Are you chassidish? You should specify if you are.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 11:20 am
Pita wrote:
How did you feel about that?

I feel sad.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 11:45 am
Quote:
I can only sing two weeks out of the month
So many tangents, so little time...

Chayalle,you might want to ask your DH to check into this. If you commonly sing in front of your DH, it may be that it's not considered ervah WRT harchokos (just like if you roll up your sleeves to wash dishes or wear a nightgown that's not perfectly covering your collarbone). My quite Yeshivish DH allows me to sing in front of him when niddah - it's just my sons who have an issue with it (not that they don't let, they just won't sing if I do.)

And how does that work? Do your children notice you don't sing half the time?

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 12:19 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Chasidus. Gur, in E"Y. Ger, in Brooklyn and elsewhere.

BTW I have heard that some yekkes also hold that women can sing in a group.

I love to sing, and I always sang zemiros with my father and brothers and sisters, but had to refrain when my BIL's were present.

As a married woman, my more-yeshivish DH holds that I can sing non-pesukim (as another poster stated). So I sing Shalom Aleichem but not Aishes Chayil......also, I can only sing two weeks out of the month...and only if we don't have male guests.

Now I know that was OT to this thread.

I don't know many MO women IRL, but those that I do have such warmth and open homes. I admire their Ahavas Yisrael and their Hachnasas Orchim. Their genuine friendliness and caring, and the Derech Eretz they model and teach.

Can you explain the psukim thing. Are women never allowed to sing psukim or only when alone? I've nevet heard of that. Sorry for going OT.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics