Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Dunkin Donuts -- Kosher?

allrgymama

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:22 pm
A neighbor recently told me that (if one is not makpid on Cholov Yisroel) then it is permissible to buy drinks at any DD, even without a heschsher, as all of the drinks are made out of prepackaged mixes that are all kosher, regardless of which DD location you go to. I don't remember if she said that this applies only to cold drinks, or hot drinks as well.

Now -- I know that getting drinks at a Starbucks is an issue, because the equipment goes into a dishwasher with equipment that gets exposed to treifos. Is this not an issue at DD? I would ask a sheilah, but I'm not even sure where to direct it as I'm sure that it requires pretty specific knowledge of how DD operates.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:31 pm
There are a few kosher Dunkin Donuts in NY. I know that there are certain flavored drinks they don't sell, so I'm not sure that all DD drinks are indeed kosher.

If you want to discuss it with a halachic authority, maybe call up one of the agencies that certify the kosher DDs to find out what the issues might be.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:32 pm
allrgymama wrote:
A neighbor recently told me that (if one is not makpid on Cholov Yisroel) then it is permissible to buy drinks at any DD, even without a heschsher, as all of the drinks are made out of prepackaged mixes that are all kosher, regardless of which DD location you go to. I don't remember if she said that this applies only to cold drinks, or hot drinks as well.

Now -- I know that getting drinks at a Starbucks is an issue, because the equipment goes into a dishwasher with equipment that gets exposed to treifos. Is this not an issue at DD? I would ask a sheilah, but I'm not even sure where to direct it as I'm sure that it requires pretty specific knowledge of how DD operates.

AYLOR.

My rabbi has no problem with Starbucks. He's been known to take b'nai mitzvah kids there. And the Starbucks near my office seems to host some sort of a Daf Yomi, based upon the number of people studying seforim you see in there most mornings.

But that doesn't mean that YOUR rabbi agrees.

And if he doesn't agree with Starbucks, chances are he won't agree with DD.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:54 pm
I had the same question.

My thoughts are that Starbucks have the soy option which means people with allergies can buy drinks there so they are that much more careful where as in DD they don't usually have soy milk (at least non of the ones I have been too kosher included) so everything is dairy.

As for drink flavors, I was wondering since to buy the k-cups for example are all ou ...

following.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 5:48 pm
I was told that if you're makpid on keilim at Starbucks, the same applies to any other coffee shop.

allrgymama

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 6:16 pm
Does anyone know of there's a difference if you're just getting coffee, without flavoring or other add-ins? Meaning, I wouldn't think that a Coolatta is okay, but a plain iced coffee?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 7:15 pm
CRC discussed various coffeeshop kashrus related issues: http://www.crcweb.org/starbucks_overview.php

Davida

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 10:30 pm
Vaad harabonim of queens gives a hechsher to queens dd,. Maybe call their office and ask the rov there what his take is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions