Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Can I use a meatball recipe for ground chicken

joy613

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:37 pm
(Or does anyone have a good chickenballs recipe?)

If I substitute chicken instead of meat will it still taste good? Do I need to do anything differently?

Would I be able to fool kids into thinking it's meatballs?

thanks!
Also, you can post your yummiest meatball recipe here

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:50 pm
Yes I do.
I use ground chicken or meat, whatever I have.

I have two yummy recipes.

This first one is better with chicken or turkey:
mix meat with matzah meal, egg, salt, pepper & paprika. Fry an onion in frying pan, make balls and add. Keep shaking so not to stick and fry until white. add salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar and ketchup. Cover 3/4 way with water and cover. Simmer for 20-30 minutes on medium flame.

I like to serve with mashed potatoes, couscous or rice.

This next recipe is better with ground meat but again, I interchange both with both recipes:

Mix meat with egg, matza meal, salt, pepper, paprika.
In a pot fry onion, add can of chopped tomatoes and can of tomato sauce. salt and pepper and a squirt of ketchup (optional). Boil. Make balls and add to tomato sauce. Cover and simmer on medium for 20-30 minutes.
I like to serve with pasta/spaghetti.

(With the tomato recipe if you want a thinner sauce you can add half a tomato sauce can of water).

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 5:35 pm
If you like strong flavors you may need more seasoning as chicken has less flavor than beef, but pretty much anything you do with ground beef you can do with ground poultry.

ETA You may not fool your children, though. Ground poultry "meatballs" are much lighter in color than meatballs made from beef, es. if you use white meat.

Happy18

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 5:39 pm
I do it all the time, comes out great. It wont look the same as beef, but if you want to get your kids used to it you could use half beef half chicken.

animeme

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 9:07 pm
I second using a combo with meat to fool the kids, though if you have a strong dark sauce you may not need it.

I also find ground chicken to be wetter and stickier than ground beef, so you may need less egg or more breadcrumbs.

bigmomma

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 12:43 am
Chocolate chips: How much brown sugar and ketchup in your first recipe?

ms5771

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 2:17 am
I never buy ground meat because it's too expensive. I have consistently used ground chicken instead in my meatball recipes and never had any problem. It obviously won't taste exactly the same, but I don't think it should be an issue. At least from my experience.

piece

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 1:32 pm
in some grocery stores they do sell dark ground chicken.
I use this following recipe with either dark or light ground chicken
I fry a bunch of onions - meanwhile I add, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder & garlic powder, egg(s) -depending on amount of ground chicken. form balls & then add to fried onions. keep on low flame & let turn white on both sides (about 10 mins on each side)
then add 1 can of tomato sauce & fill empty can sauce with water & add that too, then pour in some BBQ sauce. bring to boil & keep on low for approx. half hour to 45 mins.
serve with mashed potatoes/orzo/rice
enjoy.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 4:19 pm
Dark ground turkey is awesome as a replacement for ground meat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics