Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dd Israeli in America. Going to Israel. What about the army

amother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 2:19 pm
I'm Israeli. Dd was born and raised in America. She is going to Israel for seminary. Does anybody know what do we need to do in order for her not to have to go to the army. Btw she told me she can't get a student visa because she is considered Israeli. TIA.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm Israeli. Dd was born and raised in America. She is going to Israel for seminary. Does anybody know what do we need to do in order for her not to have to go to the army. Btw she told me she can't get a student visa because she is considered Israeli. TIA.
If she is considered Israeli she has to get an israeli passport. And you have to find out how to get her a deferment. Possibly ask nefesh bnefesh. They will most likely be able to help her.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 2:50 pm
I have the same legal status as your daughter and came to seminary about 6 years ago. I got my Israeli passport from the Israeli consulate right before I came to seminary. It was a 6 month passport and I needed to present it at the Misrad HaPnim to get an extension on it within that time frame. I did not need a deferment until I wanted to stay for shana bet - though the rules may have changed due to the current climate. Getting the deferment was easy, I did it inside Israel and it took about two weeks. it should still be a lot easier for a girl than for a boy, I would think.

However just be warned that if living in Israel is at all on your daughter's horizon, the government makes it very difficult to reside here as a tourist if you have citizenship. My husband and I are back in Israel for a few years and having a dual citizenship left me with no option to work legally or to have my Iy"h birth covered

mommy9

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:10 pm
I applied for a ptur through the consulate in Chicago.didn't have any problems when I went

amother

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:33 am
Op here
I'm confused. I'm planning to renew her passport today. She has an American passport. Do I need to go to the Israeli consulate to get an Israeli passport?

rkade10

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 10:41 am
Yes, she can't get a student visa because she is entitled to Israeli citizenship. She needs to get a passport from the consulate instead, which lets her stay in Israel past the standard tourist visa legally.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
Op here
I'm confused. I'm planning to renew her passport today. She has an American passport. Do I need to go to the Israeli consulate to get an Israeli passport?
yes. she wont be allowed into Israel on a visa. Only on an israeli passport.

SplitPea

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 7:33 pm
the other option is renouncing israile citizenship. I had a family member do that. it can be done at the consulate.

Eishes Chaim

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 7:56 pm
I was able to get a ptur at the consulate, here in NY. It was based upon the factor, that my parents were living overboard. It does come with a condition- where you can't overstay a 6 month visit. But as mentioned before. I'm sure you can get an extension at the misrad hapninim

amother

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 1:31 am
SplitPea wrote:
the other option is renouncing israile citizenship. I had a family member do that. it can be done at the consulate.

Op here
What is the downside to renouncing her Israeli citizenship?

chevi1

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 1:46 am
You need to ask in the consulate about receiving ben mehagrim status which allows her to study in il up to 3yeas without army
U will need an israeli passport

amother

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:39 am
chevi1 wrote:
You need to ask in the consulate about receiving ben mehagrim status which allows her to study in il up to 3yeas without army

Op here
Is it better to get a heter for Ben mehagrim or to renounce the Israeli citizenship?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:39 am
Op here
Does it matter that dh is American?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:40 am
amother wrote:
Op here
Does it matter that dh is American?
No, if one parent is Israeli then the child needs an Israeli passport.

rkade10

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 4:06 am
I heard that there is an age range in which children of Israeli citizens are not allowed to renounce their citizenship ... around army age? 16-26? Anyone have experience with this?

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 9:14 am
I would not recommend renouncing citizenship. Not for this. But I don't know much about it. They will still know you had citizenship and I think it might complicate things.

Okay - your DD needs an Israeli passport. She needs to apply for one.
Then you need to apply for army deferment. It's simple and all you will need is something like her high school transcript. Ask the consulate.

Her deferment will become an exemption automatically at a certain age unless she officially moves to Israel in the next couple of years.

It is all pretty simple. If you find this hard I think renouncing citizenship isn't for you.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 3:38 pm
chevi1 wrote:

Is the Ben mehagrim status which allows her to learn in Israel up to 3 years is the same like what peanut2 said in the last post. If it is not the same what is the difference between what chevi1 post and the previous post by peanut2. Thanks for everybody's help.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 10:33 am
Op here
What is the difference between
A. Asking for a Ben mehagrim status and getting to learn three years in Israel without going to the army.
B. getting an Israeli passport and asking to defer the army for a year
TIA
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children