Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Crib to Toddler Bed

m+m

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:57 pm
When do you know it's time to make the switch?

DD is 2 and started being very difficult at bedtime. She screams and jumps around in her crib for 45min-hour. She used to be an angel at bedtime.

She always want to sleep in Mommy's bed, which we never allow. And eventually she falls asleep in her crib after crying herself to sleep.

Is she ready for a "big girl bed"?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:59 pm
It sounds like she will jump right out of a bed. Is she climbing out of the crib? Have you tried sitting quietly in the room while she falls asleep?

m+m

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 9:17 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
It sounds like she will jump right out of a bed. Is she climbing out of the crib? Have you tried sitting quietly in the room while she falls asleep?

She is a very well behaved girl, and I would like to think she won't leave her bed at night. She is not climbing out of the crib.
If I stay in her room till she falls asleep (can take 30-45 min) she will rely on me to fall asleep and won't know how to fall asleep on her own.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 9:24 pm
You say she's screaming and jumping around her crib... So what makes you think she's ready to transition to a bed? It doesn't sound like the right time. You can stay until she falls asleep the first night. Twenty minutes the next night. Ten minutes thereafter. The point is to remind her that bedtime is for settling down and relaxing. And, if she's scared, your presence will be calming. Think of it as retraining her to fall asleep calmly on her own.

mommyfirst

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 9:29 pm
Don't do it !!! I just switched my 2 year old to a toddler bed out of necessity ( he was climbing out of the crib and getting hurt) , and it's a major major pain!!! I need to stay in the room until he's asleep , or he will just keep coming out of bed and out of his room. Like 20x in a row. If she's having a hard time calming down , a bed won't make it easier , just harder!!! Try other things ..music/ video, eliminating nap, later bedtime, long bath etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics