Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Quiting a job you dont like

nanny24/7

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 10:06 pm
Im sure im not the only one. I have a job now I really want to quit but I dont have the guts to. I already once told my boss im leaving, but he put tremendous pressure onme to stay and promised me things (which he didnt stick to) to make me stay so I stayed I need to muster the courage to seriously tell my boss its over and really leave a place ive been very unhappy with for so long... I feel tremendous guilt for how I think his whole business will go down the drain without me, plus when I took the job I knew it might be temporary and I feel bad I wasnt up front right away that I might not work long term. I started working 7 months ago and want to quit now. I will be forced to quit probably in september if I get accepted into college.... help! Also I work for a family business so I will have 6 people putting major pressure on me that I cant dare leavethem....

amother

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 10:27 pm
I hated my job. There was to much drama, expected raise not implemented, among other things. I gave my 2 weeks notice and kept quiet. I spoke to my manager 2 nights before my last day to tie up loose ends. He was shocked that I am actually quitting. He promised me the raise again and apologized for trying to force me to cancel an approved and planned vacation. I kept strong. My DH fully supported me and I didnt need the money then.

Two other women found the courage to leave as well. It was really an emotionally unhealthy environment.

You can do it to!

Bitachon101

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 11:17 pm
That's tough.
At the end of the day, u need to do what's best for you not him.
There are so many ppl in the job search, maybe you can recommend someone to take you over.
I've been in similar situations and it is really hard to just leave when u know the business is on ur shoulders and won't function if u leave. But do what is best for you and tell him firmly but nicely with a few weeks notice before you go.
Maybe prepare a document with info to help the next person be able to take u over smoothly.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 11:21 pm
I was in a stressful job, passive/aggressive boss who could blow up any time. The money was too good to quit (unlikely to find that kind of pay elsewhere) and I couldn't bring myself to do it.

My body decided for me. I was way to sick to work. BH got out and took some time off. Somehow ended up with a similar boss a couple of years later. Got sick again. Did what I had to do.

Listen to your gut or it will force you to listen!

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 11:59 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
.. I feel tremendous guilt for how I think his whole business will go down the drain without me, ....

Dream on. Nobody's indispensable, there are probably twenty people clamoring for your job, and if the owner has five other family members working there, it's highly doubtful that losing you, exemplary a worker though you may be, will make the whole business collapse. Unless, of course, you are their sole salesperson and they have no customers aside from the ones you bring in.

Your employer showed bad faith promising you concessions or incentives that he didn't deliver. Why feel guilty about leaving someone who deceived you?

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 2:07 pm
If his business really relied on you so much he would be nicer and make sure you were 100% happy to work there.

I have left nasty jobs twice (each time took a tremendous amount of courage though).

You can do it. You will be a happier person when you do.

smiledr

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 5:30 pm
Do what's good for you just like your boss is doing what's good for him. If you're miserable and aren't relying on the money then leave. You aren't obligated to be miserable for them.

nanny24/7

Post Wed, Jul 16 2014, 9:58 pm
Thank you all for your support and encouragement and good ideas. I did give my boss final notice that im leaving my job for good. In August I will no longer be working.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics