Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Developmental delays?
Previous  1  2

catonmylap

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 3:27 pm
working hard wrote:
I also saw a couple of red flags with my daughter. Around 8 months we had her evaluated and she was given Speech and PT. About 2 months later, everything flared up and got much worse. Because I already had a professional in the house, it was caught right away. We were able to get increased services immediately. She is 14 months now and is doing beautifully. She is still delayed but as things are going now should catch up to age level at around age 2. B'H it was caught right away. Please evaluate now without delay.

What kind of therapy do you do at with an 8 month old?

catonmylap

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 3:48 pm
I took my almost 18 month old for his developmental check last week. He hardly spoke a word; he has less than 10. He pointed to the truck and the dog in the book she showed him.

The doctor said we should get a hearing test, but she wasn't concerned yet, she said it's very early still...
but she wanted to keep an eye on it and that's with a history of speech delay in his brother...

You might as well get an evaluation, but I'm not sure this level of early intervention is always called for...
I've heard of many cases where there was concern but then the kid just started talking.... We were told to just wait with our first, and should have started earlier, but there's still a big difference between 2 1/2 and 18 months...

I'd love to hear from speech therapists and educators what activities are good to do with my son now. He has started being very interested in books, and we do a lot of pointing to animals and making their sounds...what does a speech therapist focus on at this age? The doctor also suggested talking to him when he is opposite me so he can see my lips.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 11:00 pm
If you want to do home therapy, I strongly recommend looking into the Hanen Method books. They are not cheap, but VERY good, VERY practical, and in many cases, extremely effective.

I have "It Takes Two To Talk," and it is fantastic. Written primarily for autistic kids, but the games and exercises are great for any late talker.

working hard

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 9:39 am
catonmylap wrote:
What kind of therapy do you do at with an 8 month old?

PT and feeding. PT to learn how to roll over, get up on all fours...., feeding to help develop muscles in the mouth and get her to learn to take food off a spoon and swallow it.

zigi

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 10:16 am
I had to be proactive my ped didn't see anything wrong. the well visits are more in and out. I called ei at 11 months to get my son evaluated. since he was getting services it was easier for him to get more and the evaluations that he needed b/c his therapists pushed for it. this really helped when he regressed at 18 months.

he is only talking now at 3 b/c of the 4x a week speech therapy

kiryat sefer

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 10:20 am
I deal with delayed kids. I found that with therapy they bh were able to come a long way. Hatzlacha with evrything. My friends daughter has services. My friend feels like crying over those years she lost out had there been spch therapy and all those stuffs
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics