Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Camp Sternberg: Searching for Grandma's Yeast Cake

TeachersNotebook

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 8:36 pm
I am on the hunt for the recipe for Grandma's yeast cake from Camp Sternberg. I don't think it was the kokosh cake from Shabbos mornings. I'm talking about the one we made during baking activity in Heller, which should be in Grandma's cookbook. Does anyone have it?

Thanks so much!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 03 2014, 9:08 pm
So I found Grandma's cookbook and you'd think there'd be a recipe called Grandma's Kokosh Cake. There is this:

(Cocosh) Yeast Cake

2 oz. fresh yeast
1 c. lukewarm water
5 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 c. oil
2 tsp. baking powder
7 c. flour or a little more if dough is sticky

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add eggs, sugar, oil, and baking powder and mix.
Add sifted flour, slowly. Knead until smooth.
Oil top and bottom of dough and let rise til double, about 1.5 hours or overnight in fridge.
Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll out into a rectangle. Fill with a mixture of cocoa, sugar, choc. chips, or cinnamon and sugar and (raisins, nuts). Roll tightly into a long strip.
Close both ends and form circle. Place on piece of parchment paper. Make slits in cake 2/3 of the way through, 1.5 inches apart. Lift out pieces of cake and turn up. Place in round pan. Bake at 350 til top is brown. When cool glaze with a mixture of confectioner's sugar, oil (small amount) and enough boiling water to make it the proper consistency - loose but not watery

There might be other yeast cake recipes that are closer. I'll try to look some more bli neder.
Sternbergers, let us know if this is the cake you remember!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins