Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Milk... um yogurt?

Bitachon101

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 12:13 pm
Ok so I have alittle too much milk this month from wic and we didn't get to it all.
Sometimes the date passes and the milk is still fine for a few days.
But just checked and I have 2 June 29 milks that I smelled and are "just starting to smell off".
I also have four July 6 milks- that's in 2 days.
1- can I make yogurt from the ones starting to go bad or its too late?
2- how do I make yogurt at least for the july 6 ones?
3 - is there anything else I can do with them?

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 12:44 pm
Do a Google search on "making yogurt"--that's faster than my typing out instructions.

The stuff that's gone--make sour milk pancakes. The acid in the milk will make the baking soda fizz, which will make bubbles and make the pancakes light. Leave out the lemon juice in your basic pancake recipe.

The ones that are still good can probably be used to make yogurt. You need a few tablespoons of commercial plain yogurt with live and active cultures as a starter.

You can add a bit of lemon juice to the milk and boil it in a saucepan till it curdles. Let cool, and strain out the liquid. Rinse in the strainer with cold water, add some salt, and you have basic dry-curd cottage cheese. You may or may not care to eat it straight, but you can use it in casseroles and similar dishes.

Bitachon101

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 3:35 pm
Wow zaq! Thanks loads.

Can you post recipe for the sour milk pancakes? I don't have any good recipes.

And the cottage cheese I should make with the good milk or sour milk?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 3:36 pm
We freeze milk all the time. Definitely do that with the ones that haven't reached their date yet.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 7:38 pm
I always have one or two milks in my freezer in case I run out and don't have time to go to the store to buy.

BUt I used to get tons of milk from WIC and I nver used it so I asked them to cut it down and when/if I need more they said they would add it back.

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 3:49 am
Mabellevie, no room in my little freezer. I have a few in there already. WIC milk is great but I wish I could decide when I need what. I wouldn't get more than 4 at a shot but I need to get stuff on the other checks that have more milks so I have to stock up and then when I need more too bad its sour....
Zaq - please please post recipe for the pancakes

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 1:06 pm
UPDATE:
1. I found sourmilk pancake recipe online at allrecipes.com and used my sour milk (skipping the part of how to sour ur milk cuz it was already sour...) Made it and dh LOVED it and so I tripled the recipe and made more and put in fridge for next few days. Its easy, quick, fluffy, and yummy. I'll post recipe below for anyone else that wants.

2. I had a lot of milk starting to sour so I tried to follow online directions to make yogurt. It seemed so easy so I did a gallon of milk and put plain mehadrin yogurt for the culture. It failed miserably. Left it warm all night and all I got was a gallon of warm liquid with a few clumps on bottom. I strained and saved the clumps... But what is that? Greek yogurt? Cottage cheese? Edible?

Recipe for pancakes: (this only makes abt 8 so u may wanna triple it or more)

Ingredients
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar (only use this if ur milk is fresh and not yet sour)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted (I forgot this but it came out delicious without it!)
cooking spray

Original recipe yields 8 pancakes

Directions

If u have fresh milk only:
(Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".)

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.

busydev

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 1:48 pm
Do you have to get all the milk on your WIC checks?
I dont get everything on the check. We use maybe half the amount of milk alloted a month, I dont get the ww bread, and the beans only occasionally.

Thats at both the Jewish owned small stores and the big "regular" supermarkets.

Could be different states have different rules tho...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals