Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Vort/Lchaim, Sheva Brachot necessary halachically?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 04 2014, 7:43 pm
Is a vort/lchaim, sheva brachot, and all the other smachot we make halachically necessary? or is there an inyan to make it? What are the sources?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 2:54 pm
No, none are halachically required.

Frumdoc

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 6:11 pm
The sheva brachot said under the chupah are required, I think. Maybe.

If you have a gathering of 10 men at a party at which the couple are present in the week of sheva brachot, you should say the brachot after benching, but it is not required to have every night, or even any night. Or you can have more than one per day, I think I read that one of the chassidish rebbe's children had 2 sb's per day to enable more people to participate in the mitzva. All I could think was how tired the couple must be after a week of 2 massive simcha gatherings per day!

L' chaim definitely not required. I don't know about the vort, I suspect not. I think I recall being told at our vort that this was not necessary. Certainly breaking the plate at the vort is a minhag dh's family and rebbe do not hold by at all, they do it at the tish before the bedeken.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 6:35 pm
Frumdoc wrote:

If you have a gathering of 10 men at a party at which the couple are present in the week of sheva brachot, you should say the brachot after benching, but it is not required to have every night, or even any night. Or you can have more than one per day.

That. We got married just before Pessach. We definitely did NOT have many minyan sheva brachos.
Afaik my parents had only the one at the chuppa.

Happy18

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 10:22 pm
As far as I know only sheva brachos under the chuppah are necessary. Vort/lchaim bar mitzvas ect. definitely not halachically required. Bris and pidyon haben fall into a different category, but the huge parties not so much.

Willow43

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 1:29 am
Nothing wrong with skipping Sheva Brachos halachically. We skipped one night due to travel. Personally I think Sheva Brachos every night for a week
Is a bit much- for the family members, as well as the newlyweds. It's hard to get out every night. Shabbos is really nice tho - I usually enjoy Shabbos Sheva Brachos for a sibling as much or more than the wedding. The ones during the week after work and worrying about kids I can do without.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:05 pm
so where do people get the minhag to have a vort or lchaim, sheva brachot etc?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:19 pm
You don't have to, but why not?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:23 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Why not? Smile Did you actually like having to get dolled up every night for a week after you got married? I didnt. I was tired to the bone when it was all over and just wanted to be able to spend quality time with DH.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 7:57 pm
bump

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 8:05 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Money.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 8:14 pm
No, not halachically required. If you have a meal with a minyan the week after the wedding, you have to say sheva brachot, but there is no requirement to have a meal with a minyan in the first place.

We skipped most of the sheva brachot. I couldn't deal with so many people badgering me about sheva brachot details and guest lists and I just wanted to go to the beach with my new husband.

We shouldn't have bothered with a vort. The vort didn't accomplish much except exacerbate the differences between our families. My secular sisters were completely horrified and convinced DH, DH's family, and myself were all crazy religious freaks and it took a long time to convince them otherwise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions