Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
MO Outreach
1  2  Next

MommyZ

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 11:24 pm
I am looking for online resources for adults, that are specifically MO. Please don't refer me to Aish or Chabad or anything like that. Thank you. Shavua Tov.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 11:49 pm
Here we go again Smile

amother

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 11:51 pm
ou website. yutorah.

nyc123

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 11:55 pm
I guess it depends on your definition of modern, but I think jewinthecity.com is one.

MommyZ

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 11:55 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Here we go again Smile
I was asked for resources.

sequoia

Post Sat, Jul 05 2014, 11:56 pm
nyc123 wrote:
I guess it depends on your definition of modern, but I think jewinthecity.com is one.

Heck no.

nyc123

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 12:04 am
Sequoia, ok I guess not! embarrassed just thought it might be because I remember reading that the woman who created the site went to Columbia.. And technically "modern orthodox" means valuing secular education in addition to jewish education.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:07 am
nyc123 wrote:
Sequoia, ok I guess not! embarrassed just thought it might be because I remember reading that the woman who created the site went to Columbia.. And technically "modern orthodox" means valuing secular education in addition to jewish education.

Just because a blog was created by a MO woman does not make the site a MO outreach resource.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:09 am
I am interpreting your request to mean places for a non-observant Jew to learn Torah observance basics.

NJOP might be of use. That is "National Jewish Outreach Project" . Try their website.

Partners In Torah might be of use. 1800 STUDY 4 2 is the phone.

Rabbi Lebovic will kosher any kitchen. 888 GO KOSHER is the phone. He is Chabad, but he will teach you how to keep kosher in a simple way, and doesn't insist anybody be Chabad. He's very nice.

Aryeh Kaplan's book about Shabbat is very useful and clear and plain. He is a good writer for a beginner.

Fridaylight dot org will send you a weekly text and email telling you when candle-light time is.

https://www.google.com/#q=njop

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:18 am
Mommyz, I dont know what you are specifically looking for but there is a kiruv organization in Teaneck New Jersey that is Modern Orthodox. They have a website, not sure how great it is, but the organization is great. Maybe whomever you need it for can talk to the person in charge.
The Jewish Learning Experience - jle.org

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 2:35 am
Right.

And basic neutral information can be certainly be learned from both the Aish and Chabad websites. The person can certainly leave alone anything that doesn't feel like their style. They don't hit you over the head with long skirts or wigs and they don't put down secular thought.

When you know nothing you learn from everyplace.

An adult learner doesn't feel obliged to conform to anything; the whole thing is her idea in the first place, and she can do what she wants anyway.

Canvassing many sources is a good way to see what is universal to Judaism's core, and what is local custom and local culture. It is a good way to not swallow any one way whole. I have the impression that is what you mean.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 4:01 am
http://www.torahmitzion.org/
http://ots.org.il/
http://www.vbm-torah.org/

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 6:48 am
http://www.myjewishlearning.com

Mostly MO, some of the articles are written by Conservative and Reform rabbis as well. Great recipes too, BTW.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 6:55 am
I remember an old friend of mine Effie Buchwald, being invoved in MO outreach in NY decades ago. I think he is still around doing it in some organization that he founded after he left Lincoln Square...something having to do with shabbos. Maybe it was the shabbos organization someone mentioned here earlier.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:51 am
Freidasima, I think Rabbi Buchwald found National Jewish Outreach Program, http://njop.org/ . He also founded Turn Friday Night into Shabbat. And as far as I know, he still leads the Beginner's Service at Lincoln Square.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:06 am
And he and his wife Aidel are incredible people...wow I am dating myself, I remember him from long before he was married and now he is a Zeide...guess we are all getting younger by the day. Yeah, that's Effie.

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:27 am
webyeshiva is great! Lots of classes, run by Rabbi Brovender.

nyc123

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 6:41 pm
Quote:
Just because a blog was created by a MO woman does not make the site a MO outreach resource.

It's not just a blog, it has many explanatory articles and videos regarding jewish customs. That's why I classify it as a good outreach resource.

MommyZ

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:28 pm
The person in question is not in the NY area and has already had negative experiences with both Chabad and Aish.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:57 pm
If she quietly starts lighting candles on time (fridaylight.org) and cooks for two days on Friday, and starts only buying food that is either fresh or has a hechsher, she will be well on her way.

She can go to a nearby shul and ask the rebbetzin for help. Unless she is a more private person, and wants to learn on her own from books. The Judaica section of a big-chain bookstore can be of use.

Blu Greenberg's book is useful. "How to Run A Traditional Jewish Household"; it's very friendly and chatty, and describes what people do, and a bit about why they do it.

If there is some kind of sticking point, or issue, or problem, maybe you can discuss it here on her behalf.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions