Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
MO Outreach
Previous  1  2

mille

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 11:30 am
MommyZ wrote:
The person in question is not in the NY area and has already had negative experiences with both Chabad and Aish.

Do they live in an Orthodox community? I would recommend gleaning information from the internet and working with someone already frum MO to deal with the differences between minhag and halacha (as the more stringent sources that are readily available tend to not differentiate and just give the strictest opinion in my experience!). If s/he lives in an Orthodox community, perhaps it's worth reaching out to the rabbi and seeing if s/he can get Shabbat hospitality in the community in order to learn by doing -- seeing a frum family and how they operate. A lot of my fellow BT/convert friends had a sort of 'foster family', even those of us who became frum as adults. We had one family we went to for Shabbat a whole lot and learned a lot of things from, sort of like a mentor but in a family environment.

I also have a MO friend who tutors converts and BTs over skype. If that sounds like something they would be interested in, PM me for contact info.

finprof

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 2:52 pm
What was wrong with the Jew in the city suggestion? Did you feel it wasn't outreach (its all about answering common questions about Judaism) or that it wasn't MO?

MommyZ

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 6:02 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
If she quietly starts lighting candles on time (fridaylight.org) and cooks for two days on Friday, and starts only buying food that is either fresh or has a hechsher, she will be well on her way.

She can go to a nearby shul and ask the rebbetzin for help. Unless she is a more private person, and wants to learn on her own from books. The Judaica section of a big-chain bookstore can be of use.

Blu Greenberg's book is useful. "How to Run A Traditional Jewish Household"; it's very friendly and chatty, and describes what people do, and a bit about why they do it.

If there is some kind of sticking point, or issue, or problem, maybe you can discuss it here on her behalf.

What makes you think it's a woman or there are Shuls nearby that are helpful?

MommyZ

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 6:04 pm
mille wrote:
Do they live in an Orthodox community? I would recommend gleaning information from the internet and working with someone already frum MO to deal with the differences between minhag and halacha (as the more stringent sources that are readily available tend to not differentiate and just give the strictest opinion in my experience!). If s/he lives in an Orthodox community, perhaps it's worth reaching out to the rabbi and seeing if s/he can get Shabbat hospitality in the community in order to learn by doing -- seeing a frum family and how they operate. A lot of my fellow BT/convert friends had a sort of 'foster family', even those of us who became frum as adults. We had one family we went to for Shabbat a whole lot and learned a lot of things from, sort of like a mentor but in a family environment.

I also have a MO friend who tutors converts and BTs over skype. If that sounds like something they would be interested in, PM me for contact info.

He does not live in an Orthodox community or near one. The only outreach near him is Chabad and Aish, who both turned him off. I think right now he prefers online resources.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 2:24 am
MommyZ wrote:
He does not live in an Orthodox community or near one. The only outreach near him is Chabad and Aish, who both turned him off. I think right now he prefers online resources.
What about partners in torah?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions