Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Clean movies for preteen?
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:41 pm
DD is 11 now, and is starting to outgrow Disney movies. (Besides, I think we've watched them all 100 times!)

I'm looking for new movies for her that would be appropriate. Everything I've found so far seems to be made by people who think that young adults/teens are obsessed with zex, drugs, and swearing.

She really enjoys the American Girl movies, so something along those lines would be great, especially if they model good middos.

(When she was little I swore I wouldn't let her watch lots of videos, but it turns out that she's a visual learner, and she absorbs what she sees like a sponge. I've been watching shows with her and discussing situations and lessons, and it's been a great bonding experience. Now she won't watch anything unless I sit with her!)

BONUS POINTS if you can watch them for free online. Show me the links! Very Happy

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:44 pm
Subtitles ok?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:50 pm
sequoia wrote:
Subtitles ok?

She doesn't really have the patience for subtitles, unfortunately. We've tried it.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
She doesn't really have the patience for subtitles, unfortunately. We've tried it.

Too bad. Soviet films for children are awesome -- totally clean (of course) and with great life lessons. And often funny.

zigi

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:57 pm
a sound of music? they have a tv series called dear america its based on the books
a little princess, the secret garden

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:57 pm
Chrissa/ by american girl is amazing. I cried through it!
Parent trap
Old mary kate and ashleys

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 7:59 pm
pumpernickle wrote:
Chrissa/ by american girl is amazing. I cried through it!
Parent trap
Old mary kate and ashleys

I also got emotional watching Chrissa Stands Strong. It's such a vivid portrayal of the horror of bullying.

The OP said her daughter already watched all the American Girl films.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:03 pm
Sequoia, when DD is older I'll try the subtitled movies and see if she has the patience then. I just don't think she has the maturity right now to watch the images and read at the same time. It takes some getting used to.

Personally, I love subtitles, because I'm hard of hearing and miss half the dialogue anyway. Even with English movies I put on the subtitles whenever I can. Besides, I lip read, and if the video and sound are even a few seconds out of sync, it drives me INSANE!

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:06 pm
I also loved princess diaries 1 and 2... Fond memories!
Sisterhood of the traveling pants
Chasing liberty
Home alone
Black stalion
Polyanna
The secret garden
Heidi
Shirley temple

amother

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:10 pm
K as someone tht deals with teens at risk. Rather dont start with videos at all. But if and when its done then yea it shouldnt be higher than pg13 but those cn have violent too. But strongly recomend getting jewish clean ones like tzir chemed

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:14 pm
Asfaiu the op didnt even want pg13 just simple classic pgs

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:29 pm
Anne of Green Gables

amother

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:29 pm
Anne of green gables!

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:51 pm
Has your daughter seen the English-dubbed Miyazaki films like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke? They're slightly darker fairy tales. Not in a "s-x and angst" kind of way, but just thematically deeper and a bit scarier than what I'd recommend for younger kids. Preteen would probably be a good age.

What about documentary-style tv shows? My two (yeshivish) brothers (ages 17 and 11) like Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 8:55 pm
Road to Avonlea!

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 9:06 pm
The king and I

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 9:10 pm
I'll just leave this here, it's such a cute movie: A Tale of Lost Time http://youtu.be/rmyF-XTrHeU

Make sure English captions are on.

Last edited by sequoia on Sun, Jul 06 2014, 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 9:11 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Has your daughter seen the English-dubbed Miyazaki films like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke? They're slightly darker fairy tales. Not in a "s-x and angst" kind of way, but just thematically deeper and a bit scarier than what I'd recommend for younger kids. Preteen would probably be a good age.

What about documentary-style tv shows? My two (yeshivish) brothers (ages 17 and 11) like Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.

We loved "Totoro" and "Kiki's Delivery Service", but I can't seem to get her into the other movies. Maybe I should try them again.

We really like documentaries, especially science type stuff. The "How it's made" series is a big hit, and they're short enough segments to keep her attention.

I have to admit, I'm a little embarrassed by how many of the movies suggested we've already seen. embarrassed DD has a lot of anxiety issues, and sitting down to watch a movie seems to really help calm her down, especially after a bad day.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 9:34 pm
PBS Shows that I ADORE:

Stuff I Watched as a Kid:

Bill Nye the Science Guy
Full episode links on youtube:
Volcanoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7OTVUY_PdQ
Dinosaurs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQdc_N9_Jo
Space Exploration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqDfyE0qtSQ
The Sun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COKEum32xMY
etc. etc.

Wishbone
looks like some episodes have been uploaded to youtube, but they're in pieces and all over different channels. A great intro to lots of classic literature.

---

Stuff DS Loves to Watch (I Do Too!):

all of these have full episodes on pbskids.org, which I love, because it's free, there's no ads, and there are no "related videos" links that might take you down an inappropriate rabbit hole.

Fetch! With Ruff Ruffman is really fun and funny, with different missions every week -- fencing, going on a fishing boat, digging up dinosaur bones, making cheese... the link below has every episode from all 5 seasons, so that'll keep you entertained and educated for a while! It looks like the kid "contestants" in it are 11ish years old? (But like I said, I find it quite entertaining myself Smile )
http://pbskids.org/fetch/show/......html

More later, gotta help DS get to bed.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jul 06 2014, 10:16 pm
Have you seen the animated musical Cats Don't Dance? GAH, I love that movie. It's NOT Disney, but it's a total throwback to the glorious Hollywood musicals of yore. FIND IT. WATCH IT. REPORT BACK TO ME!!!!

Speaking of musicals, Singin' in the Rain is great. If you're okay with a little old-fashioned innocent misogyny (basic plot is seven mountain-man brothers go to town, kidnap seven pretty ladies to be their wives; their surrogate mother/big-sister figure kicks the brothers out into the cold 1850s Oregon winter and lets the girls live in the house until the snow melts and the avalanche blocking the pass into town clears; the boys learn to court the girls properly, and when the snow melts and the town's menfolk arrive to save their girls, it's too late because the mountain men have turned into kind gentlemen and won the girls' hearts. My sisters and cousins all had "claims" on different brothers that we fancied Smile We were all of 7-10 years old, bless us.), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is colorful and has some of the best choreography of the golden age of movie musicals.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children