Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Do you ever cook the exact amount on purpose;) ?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 2:48 pm
On purpose because you might end up with the exact amount you need, but you thought you would have more or not enough.

It's murphy's law, I make what I think is enough because of the last time I made xyz and there's leftovers. Other times I think I make enough and they devour it and there's not enough. That doesn't happen often Rolling Eyes . Very rarely I purposely have it "just right".

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 2:49 pm
Forgot to add, I don't like having leftovers when I'm on a diet which is always. Rolling Eyes

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 2:55 pm
I always cook extra, especially for shabbos. I can't cook just about enough because you never know.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 8:25 am
Yup.
Totally murphys law. If I make 5 shnitzels we eat 2 and if I make 2 we are starving and there is not enough.

My dh tries to get it in my head that it is better to make more and throw out but at least we shouldn't be hungry.
I hate that. I hate throwing out what I worked hard to make.

Though now a days I make more rather than less so I can have leftovers for lunch the next day.

dimyona

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 8:34 am
I love having leftovers! I'm really good at revamping dinners, and it makes me feel good that I'm getting a "free" meal. I'm really just psychologically cheating myself though, because I sort of on purpose cook too much all the time for this reason.

Leftover shnitzel gets diced into a delicious salad the next day, etc. If I don't have any opportunities to use leftovers the next day, I stick in the freezer to use in a pot pie, stew, or even in the cholent. I can't remember the last time I threw out food.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 11:46 am
I cook for leftovers.
I make an extra portion for suppers so I can have it for lunch at work and I make double of friday night meals so I can serve it for Sunday night and sometimes Monday night.

I also double every single meal and freeze for easy suppers.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 2:37 pm
I don't see how it's possible to make exactly the quantity that everyone will eat, feel satisfied and leave nothing over, unless by sheer accident. Even if you serve restaurant-style, plating everything in the kitchen and divvying it all up among the plates, some people may be left wanting and some will have more than they really want.

Plan for leftovers and use them for future meals.

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 4:02 pm
I try to plan to cook the exact amount that everyone will eat. DH won't eat the same thing 2 days in a row. By the time it is on the 3rd day, it doesn't look interesting to me and doesn't taste fresh to me. I end up with leftovers which I throw out.

Besides cooking the exact amount allows for portion control.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 4:17 pm
I always make extra for shabbos and yom tov. DH sometimes brings home guests from shul or I have people invite themselves Friday after I've finished cooking. We also enjoy eating the leftovers through the week.
I don't make a lot of suppers as we eat leftovers, but when I do I cook about the amount I think we will eat, I don't really need a few extra pieces of supper lieing around that isn't enough for a meal.
My DH really doesn't like throwing out food, so what I make I have to expect to serve over and over again (which makes my life easier) but at a point you get sick of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus