Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I dont want my son to use a computer or cellphone

How do you make your kids not imitate your technology addiction
abstain around them  
 40%  [ 12 ]
remove from within their reach (if they grab it)  
 16%  [ 5 ]
allow them to see and feel comfortable with it and explore/touch it (perhaps they don't want something that's not censored or taboo)  
 43%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 30

thegiver

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 8:10 pm
not until he has to for school--such as learning to type, etc. he;s only 8mo now. A lecture I listened to recommended delaying exposure to technology as a method of combatting interest in it. I don't want him to desire it at all.

I already am spending too much time on the computer and phone around him and he is naturally curious. I dont want him to be as technologically addicted and his father and I. When guests come they all whip out their phones to snatch photos even though I protest.

suggestions?

do I need to abstain myself? any suggestions for those of you who have given up technology for the sake of your kids?

I want to be present with him and not constantly check phone etc.
I try to make phone calls while walking him so he cant see

but what about need to use internet?

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 8:37 pm
First of all your kid will grow up in this century, he will have access to computers and phones whatever you like or don't like.

That said, the only way for him not to get addicted is to not be addicted yourself.

I didn't vote because honestly I don't feel any of the options are sensible or will help. I monitor my son's time on the ipad. I don't tell him no whilst I am on the computer, that is just hypocrisy.
I try to use my phone way less when with him so he gets to see me and my face. Honestly, using the phone whilst walking him is just like using it in front of him, he can hear right?

black sheep

Post Mon, Jul 07 2014, 10:44 pm
your poll question: "How do you make your kids not imitate your technology addiction" is a leading question. answer: I don't have a technology addiction. do you really think that everyone has a technology addiction?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 6:13 am
Personally, I think that's horrible advice, sorry. I think the AAP is unrealistic, asking no screen time until two. What I have found with my older one is that he wasn't really interested in TV at all until about 2-he wouldn't watch it for more then a couple of minutes. My younger one, who is the same age as your baby, does seem to watch the tv when it's on, but I certainly don't put things on just for her. We got a tablet when he was around 18 months, and he liked that a lot. We don't live near any family, so we Skype with multiple relatives every week, and that's really important.

I find the easiest way to limit it is to remove him from the apartment. Sadly, we're in a fairly small apartment, and I struggle very much with keeping it clean. Therefore, to a certain extent, I like him being on the tablet/computer because everything is contained. However, I don't take it if we go to the park, or whatever. So that gets us away from it.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 8:10 am
I did not vote.

If you don't want to be addicted then don't be on the computer all the time. I don't think exposure to technology will affect a baby other than the fact that he does not have your full attention.

There's nothing wrong with snapping pictures of a baby. Snapping pics does not make babies addicted.

morah

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 8:35 am
It's very easy to be all-or-nothing with a baby that young- you can breastfeed exclusively, feed them only your home cooked purees, etc. But as they get older, you have to contend with the world they live in. You have to trust other adults (and later, the kids themselves) to make choices and it won't always be the way you want. I don't have ANY candy in the house, but my 3 year old asks all the time because he gets it when there's a birthday at school. The horse is out of the barn now, He learned that it exists and it's delicious, now I have to teach him not to overdo it when it's around. You can't avoid technology in 2014. You don't have to hide it from him nor can you. Instead, use it responsibly yourself. When he's old enough to use it himself, set rules and boundaries. I'm not getting into details because these things mean different things to different people. But that's ostensibly the answer, not trying to stuff the genie back in the bottle.

zigi

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 9:47 am
set limits. its easier if it shuts down automatically then having them get off it.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
I did not vote.

If you don't want to be addicted then don't be on the computer all the time. I don't think exposure to technology will affect a baby other than the fact that he does not have your full attention.

There's nothing wrong with snapping pictures of a baby. Snapping pics does not make babies addicted.

This.
I don't know, I am so confused by your whole poll and question and theory op. It doesn't connect. You having an addiction is nothing to do with your baby other than he doesn't get your proper deserved attention.
Snapping pictures of a baby? really? That is like saying you want to take your kid to the park without letting him see grass!! I mean everyone has a phone there is no two ways about it.

Be realistic. You don't want him addicted to screen time? don't give him screen time and don't watch in front of him nor play mindless games in front of him. Making a phone call will not make him want screen time. Are you seriously not going to let him talk to someone on your phone because then he will touch the phone? that is what is sounds like from your op.
At this age, honestly I wouldn't worry about it other than you should start trying to curb your addiction to prevent him from seeing you so addicted to your phone he will want it too.

Edited to add: and not everyone is addicted to their phones. We use it for whatever we need or want to and we put it away when we don't need it. I am very against the idea of not using what is there to be used for good. Obviously don't mindlessly watch and play candy crush all day on your phone but calling on skype or whatsapping friends is not addiction.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics